cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaving

N/A

leaving

i think basicaly ur wasting your breath complaining about usage caps...personaly i recently got an email saying 100gig usage last 2 months was excessive,and they were limiting me to 64k down/6k up on the 2mb service i am actualy pay for.(no warning,they just did it)..Dunno about anyone else,but paying for 2mb and being forced down to 64k and dial up speeds on uploads is just wrong,means i cant even pass the time uploading while waiting for download restriction to be removed!....since gun laws in uk are abit stringent my 1st thought has been put on the back burner and instead am in process of choosing a different isp,as no way am i putting up with paying for something and not getting it when theres plenty of other isp's around who have capability to not have to cap downloads such as bulldog/e7even etc Evil
34 REPLIES
N/A

ISP Nirvana Ivan

Hi tracygabs,

I wish you well and alot of luck in finding your internet nirvana. From being a forum moderator over the past few months I've read alot of postings in these forums and those on Free-Online too & that included those users who like you looked else where for another service providor. A number of users left F9 and migrated away to Bulldog and UKOnline looking for speed i.e. 4/8MB's and no download limits,etc,etc.

Sadly several people who did that came back pretty quickly to F9 & reported that the connection quality was dreadful and that the customer service was non exsistent and worse than aweful, Oh! and thats when you could get through to them at all.

**A number of Bulldog customers also got their phone service messed up, Yes! unbundlled from BT but then no connected to bulldog. Telecom limbo with no phone service and no internet service either, the worst of all worlds.

**Bulldog got a terrible pasting on BBC Watchdog recently, so I do think you should consider your ISP options with care. I've looked at other ISP's myself and whilst lots of them do offer a 2MB service the monthly costs are generally much higher than F9 PlusNet.

**PS I'm NOT trying to change your mind about moving, its clear you have already made a choice but do look very carefully at the providor specifications thats all and also ask around and get personal recommendations before you finally committ yourself to the new service.

**Sorry! your leaving though, I've enjoyed your input into the forums as a female user & I've appreciated that.

Best Regards to you! Ivan
N/A

leaving

I'm in the "not care as do not download anyway?" at the moment as I am more intent on trying to solve the BB+ problems. Now the T&C's are in force, it will be interesting to see whether +Net and Ofcom are singing from the same sheet!

Mark
N/A

appreciated

thanx for input and am sure ur probably right,but am not looking for faster speeds,am looking for the same i am paying for here but not allowed to have!

Am sure your right about a few,if not even alot of other isp's not being as good generaly as F9 has been in the past,but then F9 in the past never stopped people having what their paying for on purpose-heh
I expect a lower standard generaly from whoever i go to,as upto now F9 was the standard for other isp's to meet,but i am reasonably sure that whoever i goto, if they have slower speeds or bad services,it will be because they underestimated their needs as a provider and not because they are purposely ripping off individual members for using what they pay for. Don't get me wrong mind,i realise that F9 have themselves found their service unable to meet the needs they innitialy promised,hence the fair usage they implimented to make up for it,but springing that on members and expecting them to accept it,or worse victimising members who took longer than a week or so to get used to limiting themselves by forcing dial up speeds on them while they still pay for broadband is just wrong in my opinion,and on principle if nothing else i would rather goto an unkown isp at possibly a slower package (or as fast on paper but potentialy slower in reality package,)than accept such dictatorial behaviour from a so called decent isp who i had untill now stuck with even though at times they have mucked me about.(eg changing bank payment dates,missing bank payments then charging me 2x's at once without warning,making me look an idiot when i reccomended F9 to a client who then got charged for 4 months for 1mb dsl before F9 finaly admitted they were wrong and he couldnt get dsl his area after all,and other annopying muckups that i put up with untill now).
I doubt i will change within the next month since takes a while to verify from forums/members of potential isp's that its best choice to make so i may well be commenting in here for abit yet,but thats not realy a good thing since my doing all i can to get a half decent isp prior to leaving F9 means i am stuck for a month or so with up speeds a decent dial up modem could match and a download speed that altho bearable i darent use too much in case these basts* kick me before i have found a replacement,so am not a happy bunny however look at it...
N/A

The case of belsebab? Ivan

Hi tracygabs,

Sounds like a bad case of the house of belsebab or 666 dammed if you do and dammed if you dont!! words like rock and a hard place come to mind,etc,etc. :roll:

**But I get where your coming from though!! see you around until you jump ship mate.

Ivan
N/A

same shi* different reasons

ya tell me about it...end of day tho if devil ya know is unbearable,the devil ya dont can only be an improvement :twisted:
Community Veteran

leaving

I'll be staying with F9/PN regardless.
But lets put things in to context...
If my maths is right, you were downloading at 156.597372K b/s for 2 months, and most of us are lucky if we can get that on a large sustained download.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
N/A

leaving

zeninternet have been very good and provide uncapped service, and nildram also are very good. I have never had a problem with either of them, only with f9. I am starting to slowly shift all our business accounts from f9 to nildram at the moment. I will be moving our home users over to zeninternet as well. The problem is we have domains hosted and its not going to be an easy move.

I should also say that F9 have been an excellent isp in the past, and its recent events that are driving myself and other customers away. A lot of people were upset with the disconnects but that seems to have calmed, and now its back to the heavy users but i'm sure this will calm down eventually as the heavy users will move and then f9 will have their way. All light users paying for unused bandwidth. F9 need to rethink there pricing structure or at least cap the service and say it is capped and not disguise it as "Fair Usage"
David_W
Rising Star

leaving

given choice between restricted usage with F9,or unrestricted for same or simular price elsewhere would you...

Pretty loaded poll options there Tongue

I read the wossname, usage guide thingy, if its a first offence you can just do a contact us and get them to remove it or something.

100GB over 2 months, thats 50GB a month, not really all that much when you think about it, 50 GB, thats 1.6GB a day, unless of course you meant 100GB a month for 2 months, then we're upto 3.3GB a day, and you have to admit, 3.3GB/Day is excessive.

Will I move from F9 due to this? No, it will eventually improve my overall experience, my download speeds will be faster, same with surfing, as the people who constantly cap their connections for £22 a month are forced to find something suitable for them.

Do I often download lots of stuff? Ya, guilty as charged, but my average daily is 40-50MB with occasional spurts to a few GB/Day.
N/A

heh

in answer,yes is 100gig a month each of those two months...as for warning,well i am guessing their informing us the cap was due in september counted as the warning,as prior to that i wasnt warned,then when came into effect i was just restricted and emailed,no other warning.(and since have made various peeps aware of restrictions imposed on me via contact us on a few occasions, and NOT had it lifted,i think your thinking of a different isp as is obviously not this one...
i have had no indication of it being lifted-hell,havent even been told how long the restriction is going to last!(am presuming since am in process of leaving that they will just keep it in play untill i go,i mean why would they give a damn that i paying for a service they aint givin me when am leaving :roll:

as for the poll,i thought was fairly unbiased?stay and put up with it,leave and dont,or it dont affect you so who cares-pretty unbiased Smiley

oh and thanks for suggestions dhughs-will check them out,can never have enough potential isp's when got to choose a new one to pay ya hard earned to Tongue
David_W
Rising Star

leaving

From their new wossname thingy:

24/7 management
Cause Monthly usage within the 24/7 management band, at least twice in the previous three months – see table above.

OR

Monthly usage within the peak-time management band, three times in six months – see table above.

Immediate action 24/7 management applied to broadband service
Applied All day, 24/7
Restricted traffic All traffic
Duration The profile will be applied Indefinitely

Please note, if this is the first instance of unsustainable usage the 24/7 management will only be applied for 30 days.

Recommended steps - Reduce usage and schedule large downloads for off-peak hours.

- Consider upgrading to a broadband product that meets your needs - the restricted profile will be instantly lifted. (This is not possible on Broadband Premier up to 8Mb)

- Consider cancelling your broadband service - outstanding subscription fees will be waived on this occasion. Please note, any deferred hardware, activation or migration payments must be paid in full.

- If this is the first time you have been contacted about unsustainable usage, you may ask to have 24/7 management lifted through the Contact Us tool.
N/A

pfft

asked em how long,they didnt give a time in their reply,only that it was applied to stop usage excess and basicaly indicated not going to be removed far as can tell...anyway am changing isp's end of month regardless,aint putting up with such liberties,if 2 years staying with em thru all probs and going 2 months in row for 1st time since with em doesnt give me alittle leeway to make a mistake then would rather leave...probably going demon isp,speeds same,unlimited/no usage caps,but options like web page size etc suks abit and expect a limited in comparison service help reply rate,but its less than i was paying here 2 months ago and they give a free modem/static ip inclusive so pro's and cons...since is same speed but unlimited must be worth chancing the odd potential problems new isp's tend to give so probably go with them Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

leaving

I think if you've been cut off for going over the limit in a 2 month period for the first time ever, you should go F9 HQ and start slapping people. I think everyone is entitled to endulge themselves now and again, its the people that are capping their connection 24/7 every single month that F9 should be chasing down.

Or, if you cant get around to slapping them, point them to http://portal.f9.net.uk/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml their guide which shows they will release you for a first offence. Though the guide is rather silly, in one part says indefinite, another 30 days, another just contact us :roll:
N/A

leaving

I've just read the policy, and reading it, they have brought in a capped limit via the back door.

When they were looking at implementing the FUP I was for it, as it still gave you unlimited downloads during off-peak hours meaning that on 1mb connection I could theoritically download 230GB a month (inclusive of my peak-time usage).

But now, reading the new policy customers are worse-off, as we can only download a maximum of 100GB a month inclusive of our peak-time and off-peak downloads.

Product = Premier up to 2Mb

Warning email sent = 100GB usage (anytime) or 30GB peak-time usage
Peak-time Management = 100GB usage (anytime) and 30GB peak-time usage
24/7 management = 150GB usage (anytime) and 30GB peak-time usage

In otherwords the customer has been stitched up, and it would have been better for us for the original FUP to have come into effect., as you can see it doesn't matter if you're using 512k, 1mb or 2mb we're all being treated the same.

regards
Mike
N/A

heh

have already pointed out the 2 warnings 1st b4 they shoulda capped my ass,not to mention i woulda thought since new usage only bought into effect 14th this month that said two warnings must,presumably,start from same date new usage rules came into effect? (not that had two warnings...had one mind months ago,but cant realy see how thats relevent since fair usage clause wasnt in effect then-lol)
anyway almost certain now that demon isp is one for me,and even if isnt i cancelled direct debit so soon as this months payment runs out,i outa here Smiley

(if interested demon aint offering best web space etc options,but price along with static ip and same speeds/uncapped usage its enough for me so wot the hell Tongue )