cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lack of macs from tiscali to BTw should be level 1 problem?

bluewhale
Grafter

for those of us who are stuck on LLU due to tiscali unable to produce MAC codes

surely this should be raised as a level 1 problem with tiscali now?

it was promised that it would be an easy move back but this is certainly not the case...
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You would think so wouldn't you? Mind you when there are so many connection problems outstanding with the farce that is (Sh)iscali, I guess PlusNet are more concerned with ensuring their incompetent 'wholesale provider' can manage a stable connection. Given that's what we pay PlusNet for I suppose that is more urgent that the ability for a customer to easily migrate away.

Even PlusNet have admitted that they don't want to bother Tiscali too much for fear of upsetting them. If I were in change and had to deal with a company as incompetent as this I would be going spare.

My sarcastic whinging aside, I do appreciate James' honesty regarding this on another thread.

EDIT: typo and again!
N/A

It does make you wonder if Plusnet's account manager at Tiscali and the Plusnet gaff are head on and having a bit of a Mexican Draw Wink And you are quite right - Tiscali are obviously not delivering, what does Plusnet's legal department make of this?
N/A

Since MAC's of all flavours are voluntary and uneeded for a customer to move their connection, I can't see how it could be justified as a Priority 1 Problem.

Ignoring the vanilla flavoured BTW IPStream MACS:

If, for example a customer wants to move to an IPStream product from LLU, an LLU MAC is useless: The line has to have a cease (of LLU) and provide of BTW ADSL anyway.

If you want to move to another LLU providor, there should be no real difference either, since with or without a MAC, they will have to move your line onto their equipment. (What difference does it make to them if they unbundle you from BTW or from Tiscali?)

The only time an LLU MAC would be useful is if you wanted to go to Tiscali surely - anybody want to do that?

Or have I missed the point somewhere? Do LLU MACs provide the same sort of seamless transfer as IPStream ones?
I'm sure I read that a transfer from Tiscali LLU to BTW MAXDsl would involve around 5 days downtime, with or without an LLU MAC?
James
Grafter

You've missed the point Wink

Using an LLU MAC Key to move to an IPStream service should only see approximately two hours worth of downtime, whereas a cease and reprovide would result in 5 working days downtime.
bluewhale
Grafter

You've missed the point Wink

Using an LLU MAC Key to move to an IPStream service should only see approximately two hours worth of downtime, whereas a cease and reprovide would result in 5 working days downtime.

give or take the odd couple of weeks we have to wait till we get one that works :lol:
N/A

14 days waiting for transfer on top of 35 days no service through LLU.

Absolutely unbelievable.
N/A

You've missed the point

Ah well, nothing new there then Shockedops: Please accept my humble apologies guys. I promise to never ever miss the point again until next time I do it. Wink

I still don't think it deserves a priority 1 status, but it definately needs sorting sharpish!

Hows about you have a face-to-face meet with them one evening in an alley with a stick?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thing is though, that that's 5 days complete downtime compared to 3 weeks worth of what you could consider as downtime if your LLU connection had serious problems Tongue

Regarding the MACs, I can even see Tiscali giving Plus the spiel that the system is in a trial and as such cannot be guaranteed, as an excuse to not bother doing anything about it anytime soon.

Or maybe I'm just cynical!
N/A

Hey James (Bailey that is)

I've just been reading your comments on the "LLU Problem FixedHuh?" thread, which BTW were very refreshing and honest !

I was wondering whether you could apply the same candour to this issue of LLU macs and give us an idea in what exactly seems to be going on?

There seem to be two issues:

1) The speed with which they can be prised from Tiscali's clutches

2) Whether or not when they do turn up they will actually work?

Any chance of giving us your view on the current state of play regarding these two issues, and why they seem to be occuring? It seems to me that Tiscali are desperately stalling in order to keep the customers, to both our and Plusnet's detriment (as I'm sure a swift transfer back to ipstream is the only way you have of keeping some customers on board at the moment!). Or am I just being too cynical? Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The thing is the LLU MAC process is a trial, a trial of both creating and generating the MAC as well as actually placing the order to move the service from LLU to IPStream.

As it's a trial and an entirely manual process problems will happen and things will go wrong. That's the whole point of the trial to find the things that go wrong and fix them before it becomes a fully live process.

As it happens a fairly major problem has been encountered whereby even after a migration has happened BT Wholesale remain billing the LLU supplier and don't notify them of the migration out. As I'm sure you can appreciate that's a pretty major problem, and of course has a knock on in that if BT don't notify Tiscali then they still bill us and if you've moved to another ISP we will still bill you.

That's why the MACs are coming through in small batches so they can be controlled and properly managed and so this problem can be fixed and any other problems identfied and ironed out.

As I say the process is a trial and I would ask people to remember this.
AndyMan
Grafter

I (of course I may be wrong ) don't actually remember signing up to be part of any trial ??

If this is all a trial and we are all unwitting beta testers then maybe we should have been informed , and not actually be paying "full price" to be guinae pigs ...
N/A

dtomlinson wrote
That's why the MACs are coming through in small batches so they can be controlled and properly managed and so this problem can be fixed and any other problems identfied and ironed out.

Thanks for the reply Dave - it's easier to be patient when you know the reason for any delays. Any chance of confirming what the current average time is from requesting the MAC to receiving it, taking into account the size of the batches and the number of people waiting for one?

As an aside, and at the risk of sounding like one of the awkward squad, I think plenty of people did question the wisdom earlier this year of steaming ahead with large scale LLU transfers before there was "a fully live process" for LLU Macs........ Wink
bluewhale
Grafter

... and of course has a knock on in that if BT don't notify Tiscali then they still bill us and if you've moved to another ISP we will still bill you.

yes but i'm not moving to another isp just back to BTw

so i would've thought this wouldn't be a problem?
Laugh
Grafter

I'm not on LLU and this does not affect me in the slightest but I would ask:

If it is a trial, shouldn't people be asked if they want to be LLU'd. I could be shooting far wide of the post but I've been led to believe that people have been LLU'd without realising it.