cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kindly request expanation of whats going on(Gaming issues)

loony
Grafter

a request to the mods OR plusnet staff hereSadif you have time of course)

I would be very interested to know what steps your engineers are going through to resolve the gaming issues we are currently experiencing.

I may not understand how ISP's operate, but if you put it in laymans terms i would be grateful and it may stop some of the sniping you are getting here.

after all people dont like the unknown, so it may help if you could explain roughly whats going on behind the scenes.

Many thanks

JP
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Don't see how the Mods can help with that question as we don't work for Plusnet :?
loony
Grafter

ok cheers
aeroalfie
Grafter

No help to you but last night about 8is my ping was 180 tonight half hour ago 25-30 I’m on BB+ BTW.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The big problem is there is lots of different gaming traffic, and that's not just because there are lots of different games but because the same game can have different types of traffic.

For example, Unreal Tournament can run on port 7777 and the Ellacoyas have a specific signature that says if this traffic looks like this and it's on port 7777 then it's Unreal Tournament. However, Unreal Tournament can run on other ports too (with multiple servers on the same machine it could in theory be on almost any port).

In these cases if the traffic/port isn't defined in the Unreal Tournament signature then the traffic gets classed as "Other UDP".

We have made changes to make sure that this type of traffic is classified the same as gaming because it does just contain gaming traffic that we don't know what game it is.

There are of course some people still reporting problems, what we have been doing is working with some of the customers that are having problems, doing some live testing, to identify what's happening with the traffic.
loony
Grafter

thanks dave for your reply,
so essentially it seems that the sudden increase in popularity of online gaming is overloading the system? and through more efficient management of traffic the problem can be resolved.

at least something is being done, i'm happy with that.
N/A

For example, Unreal Tournament can run on port 7777 and the Ellacoyas have a specific signature that says if this traffic looks like this and it's on port 7777 then it's Unreal Tournament.

Why is the port number relevant? Why not just use the signature?
ceridwen
Grafter

so essentially it seems that the sudden increase in popularity of online gaming is overloading the system?

I suspect part of the problem might be the latency introduced by the packet inspection done by the ellacoyas to identify the type of traffic. Part of the tuning might be reducing the level of inspection done for certain traffic (e.g. for particular ports) but that runs the risk of it being exploited to tunnel P2P traffic underneath the Ellacoyas radar.

The main issue is that there is no signature to say "this is gaming traffic" as opposed to signatures for specific games. Originally the ellacoyas were configured just to recognise certain games and game server configurations and anyone playing a different game or a game server running a slightly non-standard configuration would suffer.

It sounds from dtomlinsons post that they have now configured the ellacoyas to consider all UDP traffic to be gamining traffic (even if it is not). I'm not sure what will happen if someone starts to use UDP for large data transfers or P2P though (it can be done, some years ago a colleague from the US Geological Survey was telling me about something called data fountains which uses UDP - he was looking at this for dealing with daily transfers of TBytes of satellite data).

Matthew
N/A

Hi,

The big problem is there is lots of different gaming traffic, and that's not just because there are lots of different games but because the same game can have different types of traffic.

For example, Unreal Tournament can run on port 7777 and the Ellacoyas have a specific signature that says if this traffic looks like this and it's on port 7777 then it's Unreal Tournament. However, Unreal Tournament can run on other ports too (with multiple servers on the same machine it could in theory be on almost any port).

In these cases if the traffic/port isn't defined in the Unreal Tournament signature then the traffic gets classed as "Other UDP".

We have made changes to make sure that this type of traffic is classified the same as gaming because it does just contain gaming traffic that we don't know what game it is.

There are of course some people still reporting problems, what we have been doing is working with some of the customers that are having problems, doing some live testing, to identify what's happening with the traffic.

can you please create a rule for Operation Flashpoint on port 2234, or do you need a signature somehow to make this possible?
btw the lag is so bad on this game it is unplayable, i can neither host or join a game without severe lag, i brought this up several time before christmas and it appears nothing was done to fix this problem, i know its not at my end because i can play Half-Life 2 without any lag at all (pings < 50ms).
N/A

IMHO it's nothing to do with the SUDDEN increase of on-line gaming, the effects we are now experiencing ( I have been unable to play BF2 for over a week) are a direct result of plus's implementation of their traffic shaping system.

This system is either incapable of handling the amount of traffic (at line speed) or it has been incorrectly configured.

Now I don't want to start a flaming war, I'm well aware the plus need to run an economically viable service and on the whole I support them in their efforts towards this. But something needs to be sorted..... last night my connection was running at 76k! that's 76 kilo bits, just a knats c**k over a 56k modem (2meg premier line) and I have ping times that have just gone out of this world.

I can't browse the web at speeds noticably faster than a modem, I can't download linux iso's etc. I now can't play online games! Oh and my voip system is obviously not too hot at the minute.

If it is a small number of bandwidth bandits that are causing these network issues, then I say boot'em. No fuss, no issues just get rid of them. The latest side effects of the bandwidth management Policeman is far worse than the problem it has been implemented to solve! A triumph of technology over sense!

Smiley
N/A

If it is a small number of bandwidth bandits that are causing these network issues, then I say boot'em. No fuss, no issues just get rid of them.

You're clearly angling for a job at Plusnet.
N/A

not at all, no way could I sell a product I didn't believe in!

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]