cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

it would help if plusnet were a tad more honest?

nogginthenog
Grafter

i had been experiencing the throttle (i.e level one monitoring as they call it)effect via plusnet re my broadband usage,since going wireless i had not secured my connection,( i know dumb ass!) being on the broadband plus account usage rarely went over 3 gig, since going wireless it did go up to thirteen megs one month,it was then i realised i was on an insecure network,then i was honest enough to ring plusnet and explain things, but still they continued to thorttle my speed to about 430 kbps on a 2 meg line! have i been forced to upgrade to premier, i do not know, but as soon as upgraded bingo my speed has returned! praise the lord,miracles do appen!!! l.m.f.a.o.!!!!

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs) : Removed post quoting this post in hope of bumping the thread. Please dont do this as it is against the rules.]
4 REPLIES
N/A

The problem is (not trying to rub salt into the wounds but..) that is the *CUSTOMERS* responsibility to secure their networks on the local side of their router/modem. As such the customer is responsible for any traffic which orgininates on their network and any use, legal or illegal, of their network.

PN probably won't accept it as a valid reason for removing mgt as it would give people an easy excuse (I know its not the case here) if occasionally they breach the limits...
N/A

I must support the view presented by solstans, I feel truely sorry for you, however if you failed to secure your wireless network and your bandwidth was stolen by theifs and yes I do consider the bandwidth stolen they did not have your permission however my friend a wireless network is easily secured granted it does take some thought and time, I am sorry yours was comprimised and even more sorry this cost you money.

However you can secure you network if you wish to use this thread to follow with questions sseking advice on securing this network in the future, although I have to tell you that you should be thankful you only lost money over this, I know someone who was arested over the abuse of a cracked wireless network to crack a certain UK secure system.

I appreciate it was an error but I feel people lern more from the errors that burn than from the errors which go undectected.

I hope you secure your wireless network better next time, my experience of wireles is poor but I have read alot, however I am certain should you ask more questions on this thread people will be willing to help.
nogginthenog
Grafter

i realise that not securing my network was my responsibilty,it is now secure,(a valuable lesson learned), it was more of a case of being told by plusnet that they were not throttling my speed,when in fact they were. A little honesty from them would have been nice!
N/A

Don't worry - I've had mails to say I've been lifted from management when I wasn't managed in the first place - the problems earlier on with the management I suspect where due to it being manual process rather than automatic.

Though when you're put on any of the mgt levels you should have received an email saying so....