cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is anyone getting really bad speeds on p2p tonight.

N/A

is anybody out there getting really bad speeds tonight...
:?
13 REPLIES
N/A

I have since i got home on thursday evening. I wanted to get my big batch of downloads done before the end of my billing period (19th feb), but unfortunatly my torrent speeds haven't gone over 40kb/sec (i'm on 2mbit premier)...they've been especially bad today.
I think I downloaded a total of 2gb for the whole of this billing period. It's a sad state of affairs when a light user has to wait days when they do decide to download something

I can't wait to move house so I can get away from Plusnet. :x
N/A

Not so much tonight but I will say that over the last couple of weeks I've had periods where things are so slow that even surfing is a problem.
At times dozens of pages timming out, get one miss one that I just give in.

When this happens, speedchecks all seem ok, FTPing ok, just whole batches of time outs.

On a small business account, never more than 5 Gig p/m so not managed.

When this has happened, there is nothing showing on exchange and it's not pages from any one batch of servers in any one country, just appears to be totally random.
Any one ideas what might cause such problems.
N/A

Hi all

ive just started my bittirent and im DL around 130kbs
N/A

P2P has been slow here ever since the introduction of traffic management, not just last night.
N/A

Hi

I had slow P2P in jan i raised a ticket , PN said there was nothing wrong but since then on a good day i get 200Kbs but on average i get 150Kbs np
N/A

Wish i could get anywhere near that, ive been moaning at +net for 2 weeks now about my p2p speeds and not getting anywhere, i havent seen any speed over 20kB/s peak or off peak on anything p2p related.
Discostoo
Grafter

It all dpends what P2P software you're using. I agree, speeds have been poor, but if i'm on Limewire at off-peak and i'm downloading 12 or more files, then i can use all my bandwidth(250kb/s) but if i use BitTorrent or BitComet on one or two downloads i cant expect a speed of more than 20-30kb/s. I think its down to contention on the torrent rather than PlusNet this time and it grates me to say that. Do the normal things, open Ports, etc..blah blah... see what 'appens...
N/A

Id tend to agree with you if we were all downloading the same torrent, however the chances of that are slim. It is and always will be PLusnets Platform management that is the root cause and solution to all this and until they get it right and balanced properly it will never ever change.
N/A

I've been getting less than 5kbps Sad

is it supposed to be this slow? Its the same all day and now its 1 in the morning with the same speeds. Is this normal?
aeroalfie
Grafter

Try using an encrypted client.

Here is a screen I just taken now using bit comet:
http://img13.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc206ℑ=56638_screen_2.JPG

AS you can see great speed and I'm on a BB+ account.

PS. what do you think of my new desktop theme?
N/A

It is and always will be PLusnets Platform management that is the root cause and solution to all this and until they get it right and balanced properly it will never ever change.

I do agree with you on this.

With all other things being equal, the decidng factor as to whether a torrenting upload/download is fast or not is determined by which PlusNet gateway you are on ( http://users.plus.net/@gateway ) .

Last night , simply by switching gateway until I found a "clean" one, I managed to increase my speeds from 7 up/ 10 down to 17 up/ 90 down on the one torrent I was leeching.

Ray
2 meg Premier
N/A

This is likley going to be a technique that some users use for a long time to come. Each pipe will have different usage patterns based upon the customers currently using that connection) so different traffic management characteristics for different protocols. The simple fact is that as each pipe is left increasingly to manage itself, each will adapt to those users currently on that pipe. I assume that at the moment the balance of users is, for the most part, random.
N/A

During peak times my torrent downloads have gone to about 5kb/sec.

I can try and download a best seeded torrent (e.g. 200 seeders, 10 leechers) and still only get 5kb/sec.

However, overnight speeds do get a lot higher, so now and again when I do download a big file (800mb-1GB) it will complete overnight.

Obviously this is traffic shaping having a draconian effect on peak time p2p speeds. I'm not a heavy user, my download stats over all the years I've been with +net have been very good. I don't use too much bandwidth but if I do need a file, gotten from p2p, during peak time, I want to be allowed to get it at a half decent speed! Not 5kb/sec!