cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is 90k acceptable download speed for usenet off-peak?

N/A

Do plusnet think 90k is an acceptable download speed for people on premier accounts? at off-peak times.

I'm trying to download something at the minute and it's fluctuating between 50-90k.

I'm waiting for a cheque from a client, as soon as I receive it plusnet will receive my £47 activation fee and hopefully they'll provide my MAC code.

I've had enough, if it's not one thing it's another, ever since I joined plusnet just over a year ago theres always been something to winge about.

At first it was the fair use policy, all downloads had to be kept to off-peak times, took a while to get used to but I thought it was fair enough. Then I was moved to LLU, and after weeks a disconnecting problems I was eventually moves back onto IPStream free of charge, and things improved. Now I find if I want to download anything I have to keep it to during the night, and FTP is just well below the performance I would expect from a dial-up connection.

I've had enough, how much longer are plusnet going to keep moving the goal posts? How about the companies stops being so greedy and invests in more capacity, which in turn will result in happy users, when should then equal more referalls, which will mean more users to fill the new capacity and the new capacity becomes more profitable. Ever heard the saying "you've got to spend to accumulate?"

The service being received by many on here is an absolute disgrace, especially FTP.

The only solution plusnet can come up with is to move to pay and go....of course they are going to suggest that. Means less bandwidth will be used during the day because people will have to pay for it. So all downloads will be kept to during the night, but how long before theres too much traffic during the night and download speeds go down further. Anyone downloading over 10gb + a month will pay more than they would pay on the premier 1 account so plusnet are quids in.
2 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Re: is 90k acceptable download speed for usenet off-peak?

Do plusnet think 90k is an acceptable download speed for people on premier accounts? at off-peak times.
From a network capacity point of view. Off-peak is 6am to 9am approximately looking at the graphs. The rest of the time the network is full.

I've had enough, how much longer are plusnet going to keep moving the goal posts? How about the companies stops being so greedy and invests in more capacity, which in turn will result in happy users, when should then equal more referalls, which will mean more users to fill the new capacity and the new capacity becomes more popular.
Yes thats the spiral of growth I expected Plus.net to follow also. When you look into the numbers though you see how futile the situation is for Plus.net. The biggest BT Central they can buy is 622Mbps. Enough for only 77 8Mbps customers of Plus.net 180,000-ish non-LLU customers Plus.net have to download at the same time.

The service being received by many on here is an absolute disgrace, especially FTP.
FTP is broken on Premier and Plus. They are trying to fix it. Do agree its a disgrace though. Problem has been around for many weeks now.
:roll:
N/A

i agree whole heartledly with your post, im in exactly the same boat my current down load speed is 130kbps, which is just stupid, normally at least 600 in peak and 3mb offpeak, i paid me 47 quid fee and requested the mac code over the phone, i was given it instantly (and only on hold for 2 mins max) so in that respect fair play. looking forward to my new 40gb usage with no taffic shaping woohoo