cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet service stopping

Adrian_K

hi all,
My connection consistantly drops after being connected for more than a couple of hours. The internet light on the router goes out but the DSL light stays on - I presume that means that there's connection to the exchange but no service(?).

The only way to fix this is to turn off & on the router.

Where is the fault going to lie, at BT or PN?
What can be done to improve this?

Up until now the service has been faultless but this is really frustrating.

tia
Adrian
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Has your router got a timeout setting? Have you checked our timeout setting at this link?

As you have to reboot the router and sync isn't being lost it is likely to be caused by something like a timeout.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Adrian_K

i'll try

thanks Chris, it may help but yesterday the service stopped whilst loading a web page. :?
N/A

I have been having the same problem this week, the modem thinks it is connected as it is in sync, but there is no connection (no packet tx/rx etc My moden is set to reconnect on link failure and disconnect on no activity is off. Looks like a similar problem to that reported re the gateways pte-ag1 and ptn-ag1, but I am connecting via thn-ag1. I have raised this as a problem report but the only respoce so far suggests running a virus check.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: i'll try

thanks Chris, it may help but yesterday the service stopped whilst loading a web page. :?

Would that be around 19:55 yesterday? There's a dropped connection showing at this time showing as "user request" which normally means that the router disconnected the connection. There are other drops showing which are down to the idle timeout setting, if you've now switched that off it's worth keeping on eye out over the next few days for anymore drops and keeping a note of when.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I have been having the same problem this week, the modem thinks it is connected as it is in sync, but there is no connection (no packet tx/rx etc My moden is set to reconnect on link failure and disconnect on no activity is off.

Hi,

Looking at the connection logs over the last few days there are a few connection drops, but the reasons show as "Termination by server side (NAS) Modem" on all but one, which is "user request". The first reason is often seen if the modem/router loses sync. Judging from the times that the connection drops to reconnecting it would tie in that it's lost sync and resync'd but not re-authenticated for some reason.

Does the router log the disconnections and whether it loses sync? It may be worth trying another router if you can and see if that has the same problem.
N/A

Lost conectivity at around 1830 yesterday and again at around 3am this morning. Changed modems, problem is occouring with both netgear and dlink. In both cases the modem is showing as being connected and in sync but there is no conectivity.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, this does seem like an intermittent sync fault. If the drops are still happening with the router in the master socket and all non ADSL items removed from the line then you should report this to us at http://faults.plus.net - we'll test the line and escalate it to BT for further investigation for you.

Hope this helps,
N/A

Orbrey,

Thanks for your reply, I reported this problem to support Thursday morning ID: 22444489 . I have not had any resojnable responce as yet. The replies have ranged for cheching my virus software to onlt connecting my ADSL equipment to the line etc. The 1st is not relavant as I am running a network of mainly Centos based machines the 2nd is not practical as it would leave me without a phone for an extended period.

On the point of intermittant sync why doe both the DLink and Netgear modems indicate that they are Synced but there is no connectivity. I have to reset the moden to make it reconnect.

On the plus side I have not had a problem since aroung 1900 yesterday (Friday)

Rob

PS I am a business user and cannot afored to be without Internet or phone access for extended periods.
N/A

Just an update, my connection has been stable since Friday evening.

On Sunday I replaced my DLink Modem router with a new Netgear one.

I will continue to monitor the link.

Rob
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Good to hear that it's been OK over the weekend. I suspect that the router was losing sync, then it quickly regained sync but for some reason didn't authenticate. Maybe the loss of sync was caused by a fault with the router so it didn't realise the connection had dropped so didn't try to reconnect.

The reboot then just kicked it into restarting the whole process.