cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet grinding to a halt

N/A

what the hell is going on, for days now the internet has been on snails pace, am supposed to be on 8mb line, i just did a speed test and its 300 kb , and web browsing especially, i couldnt get on to the plus net site easily, i had to wait and https sometimes hangs.

The service status shows green lights every time i look at it which frusterates me even more.

can someone tell me what is going on.
9 REPLIES
N/A

I am experiencing the same, I've raised faults but no resolution yet. Soon I'll be swapping providers.
N/A

Join the club, I just made a thread about it too !!

Including a lovely picture of my download rinsing it at a massive 5.6kb/s !!

Srslah PLUS.NET sort it out !!

Or give me a link:censored MAC code !

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed attempt to bypass swear filter.
N/A

I'm having the same issue with very slow browsing speeds - just did a couple of test and only getting 297kbps. It's been like this for a couple of days now...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It's difficult to say what the cause of the problems are, there are a number of different things that can cause speed problems.

The first I would suggest to do, unless you're on LLU, is to run the BT Speedtests.

The details of the old test are available at:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

and the new test at:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

Run them both on and off peak and then raise it via the broadband fault checker and we can look into it.
N/A

the new test at:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

Run them both on and off peak and then raise it via the broadband fault checker and we can look into it.

This doesn't actually work:

Test Error

System Error Image not loaded

You appear to be logged in as speedtest@speedtest_domain, however for the initial performance test can you please not use a BT test account or the Speedtester login. Please reconfigure your service to use your normal DSL account. If you are unsure how to do this or think this message is in error, please contact your service provider for advice.

Please wait while you are redirected..
Community Veteran

@ rnetworks

Yes I got that last time I tried the old method.

I hope they bring back the availability of the old test, as it was a very useful tool for diag purposes! :|
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

The new speedtest is currently being developed by BT to do two extra tests. The first test that it does is check the speed across BT's network, our network and out to the Internet. The two new tests will test between the customer and our network and between the customer and BT's PoP.

The second two tests will be run if the preceding test result was low and will require a seperate login which is given in the test page.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the reply Dave.
The second two tests will be run if the preceding test result was low

This is something that bothers me a lot!

What threshold will BT deem acceptable for a first figure result? (Especially as most of us are on Max - rate adaptive products now).
If - as I suspect - this is a very low figure, then they will effectively be removing the users ability to progress in diagnosing, by stopping them from using what was a very simple, yet, very powerful/clear test to see where the slow down they were experiencing emanated from - IE exchange or ISP.

I imagine phone and ticket requests on your support platform could rise as a consequence.
I say this because I know that in my own case, when I was experiencing problems a while ago I ran the old BT test and found that it gave similar results to other speed tests - run through your network. (Therefore not something for me to get onto you about straight away)
I went on from this to find that my exchange was red, and so silently monitored the situation for some months using the exchange checker in conjunction with the old BT Test vs other tests through your network.

Had I not been able to do these tests I would have felt completely in the dark, and I am convinced that I would have had tickets or phone calls running constantly with yourselves in connection with it.
As it was - as I stated above - I merely used the test tool and monitored it silently, until it was resolved at the exchange.

Perhaps you could relay some of this concern whilst the new test is in dev stage?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm not sure what the threshold is, will see if I can do some digging, this is what we got from BT Wholesale:

A performance test provides the throughput measurement of a BT Wholesale delivered end user’s connection through the BT Wholesale and Communication Provider’s (CP) networks (test1). The following are the different tests that can be performed, but if test1 passes then there should be no requirement for test 2 or 3 to be performed.

Test 1 – End User tests their Internet connection
Test 2 – End User tests connection to the Home Gateway
Test 3 – End User tests connection to the BRAS (Remote Access Server)