cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent disconnections

Glosh
Grafter

Just a query really to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem I am having.

Every so often (3 times in the last month) my connection drops and I have problems getting my router to reconnect.

The second time it happened, I phoned plusnet support, and almost as soon as I made the call, I reconnected, so I put the phone down and all was well.

It's just happened again, so after rebooting the router a few times I tried making another phone call. A few seconds later - my connection came back up.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Cheers,
Mark
17 REPLIES
N/A

Seemed to have the same problem twice Saturday evening, but only for a short period. Annoying though.
N/A

Hi,

I just wonder if whats causing this could be intermittent noise on your line or possibly a slightly dicky filter/spliiter NOT doing its job as succesfully as it should be?

Best Regards Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

I get dropped connection every night.
Reboot my router in the morning all is well till the next evening.
Starting to wind me up as this every day
N/A

Dropped connection

I get dropped connection every night.
Reboot my router in the morning all is well till the next evening.
Starting to wind me up as this every day
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I have been experiencing such disconnections over the past couple of weeks.

I thought it was just one of those things but it does seem to have been getting more frequent. I tried changing my Netgear router for an Alcatel frog but found the same problem so I don’t think it is a modem/router issue. Raised a ticket but just got standard response.

Ticket 16992030

Closed : EU has no sync/ intermittant sync. Advised to check in master socket with different filters with all other device unplugged.

Advised RADIUS shows thi looks like a hardware issue but 2 different
modems have been tried.

Yesterday my connection was OK so I let it drop for now. We shall see how things go this week.

As a side issue - why was this ticket closed by CS as problem was unreslovedHuh?
N/A

I guess the ticket was closed, as they considered it to be an issue with your hardware.
Re the netgear router, I used to have some issues with disconnections, but after upgrading to the latest firmware release, these problems disappeared.
Have you tried that?

CS Closing tickets which the customer does not feel are resolved has been raised fairly vociferously in the past.
PN are currently looking at altering their system to allow customers to re-open tickets, but we'll have to wait and see for the outcome of this one.... :?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Good idea about firmware. My router is fairly new and came with firmware 1.05.00. I see 2.10.22 is now out. I will try this.

James - what firmware did you have and what did you upgrade top?
N/A

Erm - Off the top of my head, I think the same versions as you.
Definately was the original firmware that came installed, as I recently replaced it after an accident involving red wine...... and I went to the most recent.
Also with the new firmware you get better toys for checking line stats, and multiple VPN support (if either are of interest Wink )
N/A

Connection timeouts occurring with myself.

Hi,

I have the same problem happen to me over the past month.
I have a belkin router and this is configured correctly by a Network Engineer.

I would like Plusnet to check in-house that their Application Servers Httpd deamons are not timing out either with load applied or on an actual timeout.

Is there a hardware load balancer placed before the Application Servers and Firewall?

BPCY :?
N/A

Err.. PlusNet application servers? Httpd? Firewall? Hmm.. just wondering if you've just finished reading some Internet for Dummies or something Smiley
N/A

just wondering if you've just finished reading some Internet for Dummies or something

No, it's what I deal with everyday at work!

If I have an intermittent problem, I first look at the trace logs starting at the load balancers and then through any Middle Tier (Application Server) logs and then through to any Database (server) logfiles.
I trace through connections (using URL debugging code and Server code)trying to find problems.
the problem could be max connections allocated already; timeout issues; hyperthreading etc...

I was trying to add some suggestions. :lol:

BPCY
N/A

Yep started happening to me about a couple weeks ago. I'm sick and tired of getting booted out of online games with this. It wasn't like it before and because so many people are having a similar problem I very much doubt it's my hardware/splitter etc.

Why is is whenever people get problems they are always told "oh it's your settings, oh it's your hardware". Actually no. In my experience it's nearly always a problem somewhere else down the line either BT or your ISP they just very VERY rarely admit somethings wrong.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We have many, many servers, all of which are monitored constantly by our networks team and load balanced to give it some resiliance.

We use top quality equipment from well known suppliers to ensure that the connections we provide are provided to a very high standard.

Whenever there are problems with any of this equipment that is customer affecting we update our Service Status page to reflect this.

Although some customers seem to be having problems with disconnections we have not found any common link or tend, and have not recieved a significant number of reports of such issues.
N/A

My connection keeps dropping about 3 to 4 times a day, the green light is on so I just have to access my wireless control panel and click disconnect then immediately connect again and all is fine until the next time.

This seems to be more frequent since I was upgraded to 1MB. For me its not a major issue, I don't do online gaming and rarely download much but I wonder how many others like me there are that don't complain. This seems like a widespread problem to me.

FWIW my router is a Linksys WAG54G, I use a wireless USB stick and my Mac has Airport Extreme card.

I'm too busy to spend time on this but if it becomes a major issue I'll put in a ticket.