cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

important e.mail delayed by a whole week

bootletip
Grafter

I have been working on the publication of a consultation document - we had a final deadline for the dtp to be finished.

and e,mail was sent to me at 11.56 on the 1st november it arrived today at 13.27 - the fact it went missing caused several problems for us. amongst which was the additional cost of downloading another version on a pc that did not have broadband (we are a charity).

not only did the missing message turn up today but so also did about 150 spam -

the portal is slow, so that when I go in to view forums it takes for ever as do some other web pages.

it is such a shame - I can remember when I first joined PN how delighted I was with CS, and the connection speed - sadly not anymore
15 REPLIES
Dean
Grafter

>I have been working on the publication of a consultation document - we had a final deadline for the dtp to be finished.

>and e,mail was sent to me at 11.56 on the 1st november it arrived today at 13.27 - the fact it went missing caused several problems for us. amongst which was the additional cost of downloading another version on a pc that did not have broadband (we are a charity).

>not only did the missing message turn up today but so also did about 150 spam -

I sincerely apologies for the delay and the issues it caused. We are currently trialling a significant upgrade to the mail platform right now. The anti-SPAM component of the platform promises considerable benefits. But your not interested in promises - you want me to deliver and then keep on delivering.

So I will.

> the portal is slow, so that when I go in to view forums it takes for ever as do some other web pages.

I Agree and I find it unacceptable. So last week I purchased a number of new servers which arrived (too) late today and are being built from tomorrow. The first one goes into trial on friday (internal only) and then rolls out over the next couple of weeks. If I need to purchase more, then I will.

I have an internal target of making sure every page (except a few reports which would be pure fantasy!) within the business loads in 2 seconds or less. I expect no less for the customer facing pages.

I have a deadline of the 17th December. Everyone in the business knows about it and are up for delivering it. Once we have a 2 second webpage - I'll focus on a 1 second version :-)

> it is such a shame - I can remember when I first joined PN how delighted I was with CS, and the connection speed - sadly not anymore

Its our business goal to ensure that we get back to the position where we were No.1 in the industry on support and performance. Were all working on making this a reality.
N/A

I had a few yesterday -

Sent - Tue, 31 Oct 2006
Delivered - Tue, 07 Nov 2006

Envelope-to: ADDRESS REMOVED
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:12:48 +0000
Received: from ptn-mxlast01.plus.net ([212.159.7.97] helo=pte-mxlast03.plus.net)
by ptb-mxcore22.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1GhVRH-00050G-S9
for ADDRESS REMOVED; Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:12:48 +0000
Received: from relay1.wagonet.org.uk ([135.196.96.226])
by pte-mxlast03.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXLast v2.00) id 1GeuBp-00036g-P5
for ADDRESS REMOVED; Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:02:11 +0000
Message-ID: <4688E36CD37678458B7E1EDB97DE39FD1CA0BB@WTSMAIL>
To: ADDRESS REMOVED,ADDRESS REMOVED,ADDRESS REMOVED,ADDRESS REMOVED,ADDRESS REMOVED,ADDRESS REMOVED
Subject: RE: Angie where's your car?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:58:34 -0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
N/A

Due to this and other problems I requested, received (promptly :shock: ) and indeed used my MAC key today. Zen here I come.
bootletip
Grafter

lost e.mail

I am delighted that someone from pn responded to my comments - as I had noticed a decrease in comments on the board from cs staff recently. your promises sounded very positive, but will it really improve things as easily as you predict? I am not as hopeful - it seems to me that if this was the only things that needed tweaking then you might be successful, but at the moment it feels like the 'fourthbridge'.

I do wish you well in trying to put the pn house back in order, but I have to admit to already asked for and received my mac code, I was already disalussioned with regard to mail, spam and slowness, and this was before I discovered that my mail had gone walk about for a week - no wonder the person who had commissioned us for his work was getting very grumpy, we had kept saying we had not received it, and he did not believe us, he thought we were incompetent.

I have a deadline of the 17th December. Everyone in the business knows about it and are up for delivering it. Once we have a 2 second webpage - I'll focus on a 1 second version

whilst you are creating your new web pages - will they and the others include an accessiblty option for people with a visual impairement, as currently I cannot see an obvious button to select to gain that facility?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote tags fixed for you.
csogilvie
Grafter

I don't think Dean is creating new webpages, just making the initial ones load faster (which would be a good thing!) Smiley
Dean
Grafter

Re: lost e.mail

I am delighted that someone from pn responded to my comments - as I had noticed a decrease in comments on the board from cs staff recently. your promises sounded very positive, but will it really improve things as easily as you predict? I am not as hopeful - it seems to me that if this was the only things that needed tweaking then you might be successful, but at the moment it feels like the 'fourthbridge'.

If it were that easy - it would have been done already :-)

I do wish you well in trying to put the pn house back in order, but I have to admit to already asked for and received my mac code, I was already disalussioned with regard to mail, spam and slowness, and this was before I discovered that my mail had gone walk about for a week - no wonder the person who had commissioned us for his work was getting very grumpy, we had kept saying we had not received it, and he did not believe us, he thought we were incompetent.

Right now, I could apologies all night in these forums for past mistakes. Me - I'm not interested! So I wish you all the best with your new provider and I'll get on with making sure no more mistakes occur and fix something :-)

I have a deadline of the 17th December. Everyone in the business knows about it and are up for delivering it. Once we have a 2 second webpage - I'll focus on a 1 second version.

- whilst you are creating your new web pages - will they and the others include an accessiblty option for people with a visual impairement, as currently I cannot see an obvious button to select to gain that facility?

No - I'm simply going to get a 2 second website. Nothing more - nothing less. Then i'll focus on a 1 second website or whatever customers tell me they want next :-)

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote tags fixed for you.
bootletip
Grafter

web site accessibilty

your second web site - will not just depend on what customers tell you - under the dda95, as a service provider you are recommended to provide an accessible web site - there are professional guidelines available (free of cost) which enable to you to meet these requirements. Adobe - have a whole section on producing accessbile information. As does the RNIB (royal national institute for the blind)- these recommendations are not just for those people who have a significant visual impairement, they are for anybody who would benefit from being able to view the screen with more contrast or a larger font eg the recommended font is Arial minimum of size 12 for example.

I am not sure how other feel about your response to my posting, but for me I felt the tone of your remark was not warranted. I have been patient, I am not known for outbursts on the board. if anything was destined to push me over the edge this has been it - I did not want or expect you to grovel, I had only been sharing with the others the arrival of my lost post and slowness of portal etc - as do many others. but a slightly softer tone would not have gone amiss

I genuinly wish you well,
N/A

being able to view the screen with more contrast or a larger font eg the recommended font is Arial minimum of size 12 for example.

I've never actually understood this.
Every browser I have ever used has had the feature to increase or decrease the text size on the page.

Firefox for example, simply by pressing CTRL and + or - the font increases and decreases from 8 to at least 30. There were people at work complaining that their text size was "stupidly large" until we went back and clicked on "normal" in their text size menu option.
bootletip
Grafter

web accessibility

it is not just about font sizes - it is also about colour contrast, making sure that each image has a clear description for people who use screen readers, use of bold text, underscoring, italic.

most web sites now have a button on the front page clearly labelled 'accessability'. which when clicked offers a a variety of options such as black text on yellow, yellow text on black, large print, images or no images depending on the needs of the person viewing the site. some users rely on software that reads the contents out lowd.
Dean
Grafter

Re: web accessibility

it is not just about font sizes - it is also about colour contrast, making sure that each image has a clear description for people who use screen readers, use of bold text, underscoring, italic.

most web sites now have a button on the front page clearly labelled 'accessability'. which when clicked offers a a variety of options such as black text on yellow, yellow text on black, large print, images or no images depending on the needs of the person viewing the site. some users rely on software that reads the contents out lowd.

OK - sorry just caught up with what you meant by accessibility.

Right now I'm purely focusing on performance and availability. The "accessibility" item is not something I had considered or actually something I am very clued up on. I'll take a look at the sites you've offered above and once educated be able to make a more informed comment. Its now on my list. Can't promise when I'm likely to get this into the workstack though - but its on my list.

Dean
N/A

We all know that knocking PlusNet is flavor of the month but I think you are being unfair on "accesibilty". Yes, I AM leaving (next tuesday) due to their lack of fixing things but you cannot blame them if you cannot read a screen.

I have poor eyesight and find Plusnet pages (when they eventually load!) just as viewable as most and clearer than many others. Whichever browser you are using will have settings to change font size and your system will have settings to change resolution. Your monitor will have brightness and contrast controls and only you are in control of your viewing environment e.g. lighting. Wiping the dust and fingerprints off the screen makes a big difference.

Be fair, they are responsible for a lot of problems but not this one. :roll:
shellsong
Grafter

Might I suggest that "accessibility" is a bit OT here and is worthy of a Topic of its own if it doesn't fit in with this one? I would also commend Dean to glance at that one as well as suggesting that PlusNet's webdesigners be made to look at W3C standards and in particular their Accessibility Guidelines
N/A

email up to 8 days late, it's too much!

I am still receiving emails 7 or 8 days late! This is absolutely DISGUSTING! I am also getting accused of lying by customers who are sending me emails. :x

The email service has been in a terrible state for many months now and is getting worse by the day. For many months I have been reading "everything will be sorted out tomorrow", but there comes a point when these promises don't mean anything anymore. Cry

The Plusnet spam filter is also totally useless and routinely blocks EVERY email from all my genuine friends and customers in China, while allowing through blatantly obvious drugs and share scam emails.

I have given my notice of cancellation. It's very sad how badly this company has fallen. But I shouldn't be too sympathetic really with the damage caused to my own reputation. My own best friends are also suffering because I recommended Plusnet to them. Shockedops:
purplebus
Grafter

The recent reports I've read have concentrated on the delayed delivery of emails. But I've had not only that problem but another, which I haven't seen reported.

I'm currently organising a holiday in NZ and have been sending out lots of emails about accommodation, hire car etc etc. At first I got lots of prompt replies to my emails but then much fewer arrived each day. After a couple of days, I started getting emails from NZ with the senders complaining that they had sent emails but they were being returned as undeliverable. They sent again and again and eventually they were successfully sent. I even got a phone call from NZ from a frustrated emailer who had tried to send an email to me three times and all were 'rejected' She eventually telephoned to give me her message.

So, I'm convinced that not only have emails been delayed in delivery but emails have also been wrongly returned to senders as 'undeliverable'.

Is anybody else aware of this problem ?Huh