cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imap outgoing

N/A

imap outgoing

Why can't I use IMAP (outgoing - MS Outlook) to send emails from my workplace? It keeps failing. The incoming emails (IMAP) are fine. Where have I gone wrong? Sad
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

imap outgoing

Hi,

You'll only be able to send email while you are connected to our network. If your work uses another ISP then you'd be able to receive fine, but not be able to send.

The only way to send would be via webmail.
N/A

re: outgoing imap

I do not use ISP as I work at London South Bank University (apparently and embarrassingly, I work in an I.T. department!!!) and we are connected via MAN II network (SuperJanet) so there is no telephone connection (i.e dial-up or broadband ADSL). So what has gone wrong? :?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

imap outgoing

It'll be the same reason. Our mail servers are set so you can only send mail if you using an IP address on our network, i.e. that you are connecting via one of our connections. If you are connected by any other method, whether dial-up/ADSL on another ISP or university network it won't work.
N/A

re: outgoing imap

Oh that settles it. I now understand. I will have to use (slow-ish) WebMail instead but it would be nice if outgoing mail is allowed. Obviously this will pose a threat (e.g. D.o.S.), we are moving and improving with I.T. security and technology so maybe one day it will be OK.
Community Veteran

imap outgoing

Dave,
A suggestion springs to mind, I'm sure i've heard of others ISPs doing this or it could just be me doing it at home.

For people trying to send while outside of the F9/PlusNet address space why not allow authenticated smtp connections to send? Or perhaps a configurable option within "E mail settings" for roaming smtp access?

regards,
Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

imap outgoing

Hi Andrew,

Authenticated SMTP is something that has been in the workstack for a long time. Unfortunately it sits near the bottom, in part because other projects are deemed higher priority or would have more interest. There is a lot of demand I can feed this back to the people that decide on project priority and we might be able to either get it bumped up or included within another project.
Calvin

Imap outgoing

This would certainly interesty me as it would mean that e-mails I send from my mobile would come from the correct place. Already some e-mails I send get bounced as the "From" address does not match the mail relay that sent the e-mail.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

imap outgoing

@boldstroke,

you shouldn't have problems sending emails using your F9 mail account as long as you are using the outgoing server of the mobile provider or ISP you use to connect with.

I use Vodafone over GPRS and don't have any relaying issues sending from my F9 account.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

imap outgoing

I dont have any problems with O2 mobile web either, I use smtp.o2.co.uk as the outgoing server...