Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idle timeouts :confused

loony
Grafter

I dont get it,
so what does this actually mean?
if i have a router that is always on, how do i reconnect if it timesout?
does it automatically reconnect when i open internet exploder or what?
12 REPLIES
N/A

im not quite sure how this is going to work either because if I use a program to monitor bandwidth im always using roughly 1kb/s either way :/
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

With regards to routers that are 'always on' they should simply pick the connection back up when the router detects that you're wanting to access something online.

As for bandwidth monitors, if you're using a router, it could just be picking up the signal on the cable between your computer and the router itself. Its also possible that there is a little more background traffic on your connection, though this isn't something that would be affecting everyone.
loony
Grafter

ok thanks, so no change really, thats good news.
loony
Grafter

But, theres always a but,

what is the situation with voip? ie: i have vonage on my network so how will the idle timeouts affect voip (Plustalk , Vonage or another Voip product)?

and usually my Outlook is set to send/receive every 5 mins, so will outlook not be able to connect if there is no connection? How does this work with IT's?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The connection will only be disconnected if it has not been used for over 30 minutes. If it is used for anything in that time then the connection is not dropped.
loony
Grafter

ok i understand that with email,
doesnt this defeat the object of IT's?

also what if the connection has ITd out after 30mins and then someones tries to ring me on the voip line?

sorry for all the questions , i am geniunely interested in how this works.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The main target for idle timeouts is people who are leaving their connections open when they are at work or asleep and the connection is not doing anything useful. These connections will be freed up by idle timouts.
ceridwen
Grafter

ok i understand that with email,
doesnt this defeat the object of IT's?

A lot of us can't work out what the idle timeouts will achieve.

Those with routers who leave the routers on all the time and connected wo'n't be affected since most (if not all) routers (often by default) will reconnect automatically if disconnected. So all the timeouts will achieve here is higher load on the RAS and the routers reconnect and reauthenticate every 30 minutes.

Those with USB modems will either swicth their computer off when it isn't in use (which in turn means the modem isn't connected), or will be leaving the computer on for some reason - either because it is downloading (so won't be affected by the timeout) or because they want to access the computer remotely (and hence will be annoyed to discover it is disconnected or will generate some unncessary traffic to keep the connection from timing out).

So the main effects of the timeout seem to be to add unnecessary traffic, annoy users and increase load on the RAS.

Matthew
kwhawell
Grafter

as far as I understand this, from what ben said, it's not been implemented just yet, due to problems at PN side, when it does go live, I hope it doesn't
knacker my router forcing reboot.
loony
Grafter

also what if the connection has ITd out after 30mins and then someones tries to ring me on the voip line?

thanks ben/all

so voip will still function as expected? meaning i won't miss any calls because of IT's?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Most viop clients and ATA's will keep the connection live so you shouldn't miss incoming calls.
loony
Grafter

thanks for clarifying.