cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ idea 2409 ] - Account Password Not Complex Enough

N/A

Can this be changed?
In a world where we are surrounded by passwords can you make the account one more complexHuh

Like your password has to HAVE a minimum of 2 character types
i.e. Uppercase and Numbers or lower case and upper case etc…?!?!

Also the password length sucks :shock: .... should be minimum of 6 max 15 or 16.

Maybe me on my security bandwagon but you can never be too secure, as long as you remember ya password :lol:
I've just joined so don't flame me..... ok like i said i like my things secure.

Hope you can sort this authentication out.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Can't you just make sure your password meets the criteria you specify and let those of us who are a little more blase about these things carry one with using our mother's maiden name?

Moderators note (John) Complete quote of immediately preceeding post rermoved as unecessary. Please only use quotes as intended. i.e. for emphasis of part of a post or for refering to a post several entries back.
N/A

Exactly my point..... something that isn't so easily guessed at..... 8 charcters sucks....

ok hombre how about a compromise..... extend the password length to a max of 15 characters, retaining the minimum for people who don't give a hoot about how secure there system is that contains personal info and account details etc.

It was just a suggestion hobnob

Moderators note (John) same as posting above - Quote removed
N/A

I'm sorry if I have missed one of your points, flan flinger. What is the current maximum number of characters allowed in a password?
N/A

The Phantom Flan Flinger to u....

The following rules apply when choosing your password:

Your password cannot be the same as your username for security reasons.
Your password should be 5-8 characters in length, with no spaces.
Your password can contain letters: a to z (lower case) and / or
numbers 0-9.

Ok so i'll post then fact that i missed that you can use numbers with JUST lowercase letters.... Shockedops:

But still character length is still short and there is no option for Uppercase or punctuation either, the options would be nice instead of setting rules when mixing character types.
N/A

I quite agree Phantom. Forget I ever got involved.

No hard feelings? Have an avatar on me.
N/A

Dont mind if i do.....

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion... but it the end you agreed with me Wink

So back to the original post So is there a chance of having the option of uppercase and punctuation and a max of 15 or 16 characters incorporated into the password?
Just the options would be nice, nothing compulsary.

Regards
Dave
Community Veteran

For ADSL, I'm guessing this is a BT limitation, seeing as I was under the impression that its BT's servers that actually provide the authentication for ADSL, (hence the @plusdsl.net suffix)

If this is the case, I can understand why plusNet made this *their* default - why force people to (potentially) have two or three passwords for one acount.

I understand that the CGI server has a seperate password, but anyone who can understand the dynamics of using the CGI server can easily remember a second password. We shouldn't foist this requirement onto every user, as my gran wouldn't know which password to use where!

Barry
N/A

For ADSL, I'm guessing this is a BT limitation, seeing as I was under the impression that its BT's servers that actually provide the authentication for ADSL, (hence the @plusdsl.net suffix)

If this is the case, I can understand why plusNet made this *their* default - why force people to (potentially) have two or three passwords for one acount.

Like I said in my first post I’m new to this forum and ADSL I just signed up today so I’m not even online.

I was under the impression that the account that I setup was my one and only, if so then IMO the password complexity could be stronger, by giving us the OPTION of character increase/uppercase/punctuation and character mixing.
i feel this would be safer.
It is my opinion/suggestion that the password options should be increased but not enforced.
Community Veteran

Unfortunately, if BT only support lowercase alphanumeric, then you would have to have a 'weak' password for your ADSL connection, and then a 'portal' password.

Barry.
N/A

Strange why BT's ADSL don't support it when normal ISDN/Analoge does... as my password has upper/lowercase numbers
N/A

Something that i have noticed is that you can input more than 8 characters in the password box when trying to logon to email or My Account, infact well over 20,
(I lost count after that, ok it's a lame excuse, i admit it i cannot count past my fingers and toes.)
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Nice avatar Tiswas. :lol: :lol:
Community Veteran

A few things to add to this post -

The authentication on PlusNet's ADSL and dial services is provided by PlusNet's RADIUS equipment not BT, so theoretically they can add whatever restrictions they want.

Many people find the security of the CGI service a real pain and as such it results in alot of support work for PlusNet, if further restrictions where in place on the rest of your account then it would cause a lot more support requests.

The need for additional security on the CGI service is clear, it provides a possible window of opotunity for someone else to access another user's details, the rest of your ADSL account does not necessarily give the same opotunity. Yes overall everyone should be more secure, but the way things are at the moment PlusNet can keep everyone reasonably secure and avoid additional support requests.

Chris
N/A

Cheer DaveBroon, like yours too more colour Cheesy