cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to escape PN ?

N/A

how to escape PN ?

Hi,

I joined PN in July hoping to manage at least 2mb but am stuck on 1mb due to line reasons, and this is just too slow to share with my household. I need to jump ship but PN tell me they will charge me £200 ++ to leave now as I joined on a 1 year contract . Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get around this ? Am I really stuck with PN until July 2006 ?

david
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

how to escape PN ?

There are no ways out. You signed a 12 month contract so you must honour this before moving elsewhere. You did have the option to leave early without paying the remainder of your contract by rejecting the new T&C that came into effect on 16th Sept but you can't do that now.

Also if your line only supports 1Mbs speed then other IPStream based providers will not be able to give you a higher speed. Your only opton at the monment it to go cable or LLU but that relies on your local area supporting this and LLU exchanges are very limited, but are expanding monthly.
N/A

how to escape PN ?

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately there is no way round it. A contract is a contract.

Unless your exchange is llu'd or you go cable moving from Plus net wil not get you a faster speed.
N/A

Re: how to escape PN ?

Hi,

I joined PN in July hoping to manage at least 2mb but am stuck on 1mb due to line reasons, and this is just too slow to share with my household. I need to jump ship but PN tell me they will charge me £200 ++ to leave now as I joined on a 1 year contract . Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get around this ? Am I really stuck with PN until July 2006 ?

david

If your line is only capable of 1mB thats the limit im afraid, no matter what the ISP

The other option if you desperately want to try for 2mb is to try a manual regrade to 2, this will mean a 15 quid charge and no guarantee that you will get a reliable 2mb service, and then a further 15 quid to put it back

Fun fun fun
N/A

how to escape PN ?

If a paid line regrade is sucesful yet the line becomes unstable as a result, it will likely be downgraded for free by BT.

It may take a fight to get BT to look into it, but they would normaly downgrade it, rather than terminate it, and allow fault free service.
N/A

how do i request a regrade ?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anyone know how to request a regrade ? According to my modem-based line statistics, I should be able to handle up to 3mb; Though I am on the borderline for 1mb service under current BT rules for this speed (54dB downstream attenuation). I suspect MaxDSL would probably run my line at around 3mb, but that won't be until April06 at the earliest.

David
LiamM
Grafter

how to escape PN ?

If you only have 54dB down attenuation, then I would be very doubtful 2Mb will run reliably. The limit set by BT is 43dB. Lower figure is better.

What's your SNR (Noise Margin) ? Do you know this?

Furthermore, this will be the same with any ISP, unless LLU (when it is still borderline as the ADSL equipment is in the same place) or unless you go for cable.