cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how they know where I am

Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

OK the site http://www.yourfilehost.com is one I occasionally visit if someone sends me a link to a "humorous" video or something - usually pants to be honest, and they have adverts for a "personals" site, which in the past has listed a load of good looking babes in Sheffield.

I imagine they picked Shefiield becuase an IP lookup resulted in PlusNet, and they could pull out the location from a whois search.

Now, howver it is listing babes in my neck of the woods - obviously imaginary, because some of the place they say they are from are two houses, 10 cows, and a dog - and as most of the occupants are related to each other in several ways (e.g cousins and wife, brother and uncle) it is almost certainly, highly unlikely they'd look like the photos.

So how is this site getting my location from the info my PC sends to the web site??

Chris
14 REPLIES
N/A

how they know where I am

Now that you mention it I do also get lots of adverts, with the location listed as Sheffield. But I haven't had any that are closer to home (around Southend). Are you sure it's not a coincidence because I cannot see how they can work out where you're located.
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

beleive me, every one on that site is within 10 miles, and some from very small villages.

Try one of the downloads such as
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=angrymom.wmv

("teacher gets smacked in face by mom) and see where the lovelly ladies come from for you?
N/A

how they know where I am

West Burton, Padside, Sutton-in-Craven, Aysgarth... none of those are anywhere near me!
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

odd then - and before anyone suggests it, I have no cookies either for the site or for the site the adverts are served from, indeed, I have just searched my cookie file and I have no cookie with my post code or town name in.
prichardson
Grafter

how they know where I am

Advertising profiling.

Relativly simple given the number of adverts and sites they are on.

They pickup which sites you visit from IP, or from cookies, and then store a profile on the sites you like to visits, likes, locations, combinations of the two.

Eventually, they have enough to provide taylored adverts bassed on these.
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

MMm, maybe, but I am VERY selective over sites I allow to add cookies.

But let's test it. I'll zap my cookies and see.

BRB

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

nope, not cookies, a clean cookie file (the benfits of Firefox) and still giving me "local babes"

So what if I change my IP??

BRB

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

OK, changing my IP DOES stop them knowing where I am, so what is it about my old IP ( 87.113.70.164) that placed me?
the_norris
Grafter

how they know where I am

Hi all
This is done via IP address. IP address are brought by a ISP in blocks. WHOIS looks etc can get the address of the IP block owner.

There are a number of websites that offer a service to map IPs to locations. Some been more correct than others.

The best one the test this out at is: http://www.internetfrog.com/

PN have a number of IP Blocks (not sure how many PN have) I know of a least two.

One site that uses this info for a good reason (not adverts) is the MySQL site. The Download page uses this IP to Location information to list the closes download mirrors at the top of the page.

hope this helps

Phil
N/A

how they know where I am

Cry - There isn't any in my area.
N/A

how they know where I am

"IP Location:
GB(GB) United Kingdom,
Sheffield,
L9"

Close... by a few hundred miles Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

how they know where I am

OK, changing my IP DOES stop them knowing where I am, so what is it about my old IP ( 87.113.70.164) that placed me?

What does a rDNS lookup show for your IP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

just that it is a PlusNet IP

87.113.70.164 resolves to
"87.113.70.164.bbplus.pte-ag2.dyn.plus.net"
Top Level Domain: "plus.net"

Wit a full Whois giving the address in Sheffield loads of times - so I can understand why Sheffield local may be assumed.

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

how they know where I am

Phil

Didn't notice your post earlier - I checked yesterday's IP and it doesn't produce anything on the page you gave.

Interesting site though, but for my work IP address it IDs it correctly, but locates it in London! (which it certainly isn't)

Chris