how could I quit after one-year contract

N/A

Could I just leave it? Thank you!
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi restingcloud,

You would have to open a question and ask for your MAC key which initiates your 30 days notice. Be advised though if you took up on the deferred activation charge and the deferred modem offer you will then have to still pay in order to leave. The reason for this is that you accepted a contract which said that the cost of the activation would be reduced by 20% per year over the next 5 years ( at time of signing up ).

I hope this helps a little.

Regards,
N/A

Could you please tell me how much I should pay for leaving? Thanks!
N/A

Im not at all the best person to ask as I never really kept up with activation charges back then etc. But I think it is in the region of about £45 - £47 as the activation charge at the time of you signing up was about £57.50.

Regards,
N/A

Thank you!

Where can I find the contract? I just wonder why I should pay for this. I only signed for one year.
N/A

all legal documents can be found HERE or there is a link at the bottom of the page called 'Legal'.

The reason you would need to pay is because you accepted those terms and conditions. You agreed that if you left within those 5 years you would pay the remaining activation fee's left to pay.

The T&C's have changed a couple of times and you would have been able to leave for free, but you only had 14 days to do this and so you agreed to remain with plusnet on not opting out of the T&C's change.

Regards,
N/A

Sorry, I haven't noticed this kind of change.
I will pay for it. However, your company let me feel so sick!
N/A

restingcloud...please dont take it out on the moderators, they are NOT plusnet employees, nor are they paid or supported by plusnet. They volunteer to mod these forums, and their views are their own.

As for the change, there isnt one, that clause has not changed for some time, even before I joined, thankfully, because I was already adsl enabled and didnt have their hardware it wont affect me, but you agreed with this when you joined.
N/A

The best thing to do would be to raise a ticket (sorry, I mean "question"), and ask customer support what you would be charged if you were to leave asap.

If you migrated to PlusNet, then you shouldn't have to pay the full ~£50.

I know this because I'll be leaving soon as well Wink

I've only been here since the end of August last year, and I seen the product change signficantly...I can't imagine how others who have been here longer feel.
N/A

Indeed as shah has said. If you migrated in then you wont be liable to pay for anything as the one year is spent. Even if you were to leave within that 1 year it would only be £14.99 .

As for the 5 year deferred activation cost, I know its a daft one but in a way it is free providing you remain with Plusnet for x years.

Perhaps though it would be better if Plusnet were to alter or add another option for the packages. Make it clear that if paying £21.99 ( for option 1 premier eg ) you are then obliged to remain with Plusnet for 5 years or if you pay say £23.99 or £24.99 a month you then only have the standard 1 year and than leave with nothing owing.

Off course though what needs to be understood is that the activation costs £47 and so this would only work if charging £25.99 a month ( 4 x 12 = £48 ).

All I can really say is it is very important to always read the terms and conditions. It is because people do not that they very regularly get caught out.

Regards,
N/A

Perhaps though it would be better if Plusnet were to alter or add another option...................... pay say £23.99 or £24.99 a month you then only have the standard 1 year and than leave with nothing owing.

The "Easystart" product was similar to this, it included activation and a modem and the monthly fee stayed at £24.99 as long as you had the account, however a lot of users never read the terms of the product and started complaining that they were paying more than others for the same service,
Of course PlusNet hyped the product to the hilt, stating big savings with no up front costs, which was true. But never mentioned that after a certain period of time (about 3 years I seem to remember) all savings were wiped out.
The trick with this product was to cancel it after one year and swap to the £21.99
N/A

I had assumed that I would only have to pay the activation fee with one provider, and then would be able to transfer to another provider using the MAC key and avoid activation costs.

However on trying to leave plusNet, i find that they cannot give me a MAC key.
I'm faced with staying with plusnet (with whom my broadband service stopped working over a week ago, with no resolution in sight..) or pay for deactivation at plusNet and reactivation elsewhere.

Its miserable. However as plusnet have pointed out to me, they arent contractually obliged to provide me with broadband at all, or a MAC key.
N/A

I had assumed that I would only have to pay the activation fee with one provider, and then would be able to transfer to another provider using the MAC key and avoid activation costs.

This is true normally, it seems that you might well have been put on a Tiscalli LLU connection.
If so, all is not lost, but you will have to pester PlusNet for a satisfactory outcome to this.
N/A

Aye Paul.

I was on the Easystart package when I first joined. It suitede me and saved me £5 per month from what I was paying elsewhere. Then the 2mb upgrade for the same monthly price came at the right time and I paid for the regrade from Easystart to the premier product @ £21.99 and on 2Mb.

Thing is though its up to the consumer to keep an eye out for the bargains available.

Regards,