cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

higher than normle pings

Maddy
Grafter

higher than normle pings

Hi is any one eles getting high pings? also on speed test i am getting about 1mb insted of my 2mb, wtf is going on here, anyone know

thanx
nice1
25 REPLIES
N/A

higher than normle pings

Hi,

Can you post a tracert to portal.plus.net or bbc.co.uk to give us an idea of your pings.

You may be suffering from problems with your exchange.

Try a BT Speedtest to eliminate Plus net problems.
Maddy
Grafter

higher than normle pings

wow that was fast reply thanx, well forgive me for being dum :roll: but how do i do a tracert ? i think i did one of them about 2 years ago and seem to of forgotten how to Shockedops:
thanx
nice1
N/A

higher than normle pings

Soz,

Should have included that.

From a command prompt type tracert portal.plus.net and hit enter.

Start - run - type cmd in dialogue box -ok
N/A

higher than normle pings

hi pcsni im also from belfast, and was just browsing through the fourms and seen this post (sorry to armran for budding in on ur post)

but for about the last 2months ive been having really bad d/l speeds, its like ive reverted back to dial up its that bad, think the fastest speed ive had is about 10kbs where as before i was d/l at 100-120kbs.

just wondering if you have had any troubles?? thanks
N/A

higher than normle pings

Hi ossawy,

Good to see a strong NI contingent on the boards at the mo. Smiley

Enter your phone number in the Exchange checker and see if BT have listed any problems.

Also run a BT Speed test as mentioned above.

We are on the Belfast East exchange and have seen no speed problems at all.

Post back with the test results.
N/A

higher than normle pings

lol ur the 1st person that ive met from belfast or NI.

just done the exchange checker

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=results6cu.jpg

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=results20ie.jpg

there both showing as green tho if you look at the 2nd image there showing red, apparently there was meant to be upgrade work today, now i wasnt expecting this to be carried out today, as im sure bt just throw out these dates to keep people of there backs lol

but its still d/l like a dog. think i would be on a north belfast exchange[/img]
N/A

higher than normle pings

With the exchange showing as having a red vp status, I would imagine that thats where your problems are going to lie.

If BT's usual track record in NI is anything to go by, you shouldnt have to wait too long before that is sorted.

But I've just put the kiss of death on that, havent I. Smiley
N/A

higher than normle pings

My ping have gone up also used to be 20-70 but now can be anything from 50-180ms,

i also use USENEt and d/l are around 25k - 50k where as i used to be able to max out on Old isp, im on the 2meg premier below are some of my test results.

SNR Margin 17.8 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation 31.8 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 014xxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a

1.7Mb file at a speed of

1909 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running

on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

so no problems ther i dont think.
N/A

higher than normle pings

well i hope ur rite would be good to see it shortly cos i was having gr8 d/l speeds for the 1st month of joining.

so hopefully no kiss of death.

oh and dont know if you know about this site but it gives alot of detailed info check it out

http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/exchangeChecker

cheers for the quick reply PCSNI
Maddy
Grafter

higher than normle pings

Hi, hay no problem ossawy, you are more than welcome m8, i hope you get sorted soon, think my problem has now sorted, it must of been a glitch on plus net side as my pings are not to bad now, and while on a gaming server it was glitching every now and again, if thats the right word to use :lol: thank you for your fast replys .
armran
N/A

higher than normle pings

@armran

If you pings are now better it could very well be that its now after what plusnet call peak time, and the traffic shapping will have eased off mine is the same ,

Through the day no problems but at peak times pings get higher ,
do some test through the day and then compare to the peak times ie 16:00 till 00:00 approx
Maddy
Grafter

higher than normle pings

Hi sattaff, well this is the first time its happened to me, my pings have been good at this time, so i dont know what it is, but maybe there are alot of new costumers joining plusnet, and all down loading like mad :twisted: just to get there moneys worth :roll: well i will keep a close eye on this and see if it does it again, not that i can do much about it :roll: oh well i wil see.
thanx again all
armran
N/A

higher than normle pings

@armran

Its a combination thats effecting everything, more users yes and probarley a lot d/l ing but Plusnet ae useing traffic shaping so that online gameing ...voip..surfing should be ok but from a lot of posts on the forums it seems that its not working like it should,

aslo plusnet brought traffic shapping in to use as they dont want to invest in a bigger pipe so the more users that join the slower things will get..
N/A

higher than normle pings

@amran,

Your speed and ping problem is more likely down to exchange contention than Plus Net traffic shaping.

The shaping will not effect pings. BT have rolled out 2mb speeds all across the country without increasing capacity. The number of exchanges showing as red with VP issues is massive. I know its easy to blame Plus Net for speed problems but it is more likely to be a BT problem than PN.

If it happens again, run the tests I mentioned and post the results.