cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

have you no pride?

N/A

have you no pride?

Hi
I can remember when plusnet rivalled zen for top slot on ADSLguide comparisons and I was proud to be part of it and recommend to friends.
Plusnet may have good financial figures, bolstered by the metronet purchase but how long can you sustain this level of customer dissatisfaction?
this upsets me doesn't it even bother you lot?
=> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp?freenetname=ON&ndo=ON&newnet=ON&plusnet=ON&vispa=ON&zen...
regards
Sat
28 REPLIES
aeroalfie
Grafter

have you no pride?

Why should it when plus net can hook innocent people in with their advertising mistruths and change their terms and conditions at the drop of a whim.

There’s a lot of people who have signed up for free* activation and modem the deal is the amount you own plus net gradually counts down then after 5 years with plus net your free activation and modem is paid off, want to leave before 5 years you have to pay a large lump sum for the free activation and modem.

So plus net hook nieve first time BB users (who wont use much bandwidth)for a minimum of 12 months then to leave at the end of 12 months yuou have to pay the lump sum to plus net or alternativly you stay with plus net for 5 years with the plus net packages gradually been down graded, it’s a win win win situation for plusnet.!

It’s all about the money and the money is in Exploiting innocent fist time broad band users not savy existing BB users.
JonathanW
Grafter

have you no pride?

Hi,

Firstly, we only change the terms and conditions infrequently, and always provide at least two weeks notice to all affected customers before they come into effect.

As for the deferred activation offer, this is clearly detailed during the initial stages of the signup process, so that people can read into it if they so wish. This isn't something that is just tacked on at the last minute without fully informing people about how it works.
Community Veteran

have you no pride?

It’s all about the money and the money is in Exploiting innocent fist time broad band users not savy existing BB users.

Well said.

Chilly
N/A

Read the fine print

As for the deferred activation offer, this is clearly detailed during the initial stages of the signup process, so that people can read into it if they so wish. This isn't something that is just tacked on at the last minute without fully informing people about how it works.

Jon is right there. I read it carefully, I even printed out the whole signup sequence if I recall correctly, and I chose appropriately, which in my case was to pay for activation up front, and for a monthly contract. No modem, as I already had a [censored] Netgear router in mind.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. It's free if you stay put, but if you wish to keep your options open, then why should it be free? It's £X that PlusNet have got to pay to BT Wholesale, and they're not going to just give you it as a gift. A loan maybe, but in the expectation of a return.

Sorry, I'm no PlusNet fanboy per se, but it's PlusNet plc, not The PlusNet CharitableTrust (a not-for-profit organisation).

I rather think that if it didn't bother them, then they wouldn't be welcoming back Ian Wild. I expect the past few months trench warfare to be swept aside fairly quickly, for the sake of that continuing growth they (PN) need. You don't grow and prosper by alienating your revenue streams.
N/A

have you no pride?

Firstly, we only change the terms and conditions infrequently, and always provide at least two weeks notice to all affected customers before they come into effect.quote]

Wasn't the 2 weeks notice an email that said something along the lines of, if you dont reply we assume you aggree? What about people that were away from their computers or do not check their email or who have spam filters inplace?
N/A

have you no pride?

What about people that were away from their computers or do not check their email or who have spam filters inplace?

Sorry they have that covered in the T&C's

7.2.3 You must accept email to postmaster@<username>.plus.com.

8.1.1 You must accept and read regularly email to postmaster@<username>.plus.com.
N/A

have you no pride?

Firstly, we only change the terms and conditions infrequently, and always provide at least two weeks notice to all affected customers before they come into effect.quote]

Wasn't the 2 weeks notice an email that said something along the lines of, if you dont reply we assume you aggree? What about people that were away from their computers or do not check their email or who have spam filters inplace?

I have never recieved a single email detailing changes to my conditions.

Your message should have said;

"we change terms and conditions every two weeks and infrequently give notice to our customers"
N/A

have you no pride?

I have never recieved an email from them either.

I think many people wouldn't know how to set up an email using postmaster@<username>.plus.com. Even if we can access it via webmail, not everyone is going to know that. What a load of crap.
benoh
Grafter

have you no pride?

Its the default mailbox on ALL Accounts.

Ben
N/A

have you no pride?

my point is I dont associate my broadband connection with my email account. the webmail on this site is just a little gimmick thrown in to make the offer sound better. most people already have email accounts before joining i would think.

cheers
N/A

have you no pride?

I have to say I think it's unreasonable to expect PN to have no way of changing their Ts & Cs. Giving 2 weeks written notice is reasonable,(and agreed-to by users before sign-up). As I understand it, if the changes are to your detriment, you can give notice to leave, and you are released from the remaining period of your contract. That's no more and no less than I would expect, if PN have changed the rules unilaterally.

As far as the activation fee is concerned, it feels unfair, because it probably most often comes at a time when you are already feeling disgruntled. But if you had paid the activation fee in advance, you probably would see it for what it is - a one-off fee to cover PN's costs of taking on a new customer.

If the changes are very significant, though, I see no reason why one shouldn't get back a proportion of the activation fee. It's not specifically allowed for in the Tc and Cs, but as a general principle, one should get fair restitution if the rug is pulled out from underneath one, so to speak. However, unless one were prepared for a legal battle, with a pyrrhic victory at best , this would depend on PlusNet's business ethics, and whether they considered the changes big enough to warrant a partial refund/waiver of the activation fee.
N/A

have you no pride?

I have never recieved an email from them either.

You would'nt have they were sent out in August and the changes they were refering to would have been in place for just over a month when you read and agreed to them when you signed up.
N/A

have you no pride?

The trouble is, the expense and hassle of changing suppliers is such that it might cause many to put up with PN's version of the bait a switch trick (i.e. adverse change of T&C).

It could be PN are trying to change their customer base,
I would guess that from an ISP's viewpoint the best customers to have would be newbies, as they usually don't download much and often can't distinguish between there own incompetence and problems with their ISP, and are thus easily fobbed off.
N/A

have you no pride?

It could be PN are trying to change their customer base,

The most likely scenario in my opinion: along with a lot of other ISP's I fear