cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got maxed, but having router issues.

kwhawell
Grafter

Hi guys, got maxed today, router was running lovely this morning, nice high synch rate, router developed a problem however, whenever I use my laptop or another member of my family does the same, with their machines, the router can freak and just freeze up totally, it's happened about 5 times and now my speeds have dropped, have I broke something? will it return back to where it was? it was beyond my control having to reboot the router, had to do that to get it back up, any ideas what I can do next? I have no idea if every time I boot the router if it counts against my synch rate or not, but it's all gone to pot, was 7 meg just about, it went as low as 4, but now it's up to 5, speeds are under 500 though, I know I'm supposed to reboot my router once every day, for 10 days, does rebooting my router more than once have an adverse effect? as I said it's well beyond my control as I don't know what is making it die, it seems as if the wireless does it, but on the other hand I really do not know.
any ideas are welcomed.
cheers
brian,
3 REPLIES
N/A

Seeing as your line is in its 1st 10 days 'training period' I would not recommend power cycling it at all if possible, your exchange may take this as a problem with your line and lower the snch rate (it appears that has already happened)

with regard to the low throughput, this could be down to exchange contention or plusnet waiting on a record from the exchange to set your throughput correctly.

hope this helps Cheesy
N/A

It will eventually return to the highest speed possbile, even if it isn't within the first ten days. If sync is lost it instantly lowers it, but can take 3 days to get back up to speed.
kwhawell
Grafter

ouch! that sounds nasty! there wasn't a whole load I could do about power cycling the router, I couldn't even get in to it's page to do anything to it, basically the power light flashes once every 2 seconds to indicate it's running, it had died so bad, even that had stopped working. I have since disabled the syslog on the router, and the laptop that was upsetting it has since been power cycled and the router has survived. my SNR has gone right down 6.0 this morning it was 18 the loop attenuation was 9.0 now 60! I enabled the syslog thinking it would be easier for me to read wit hjaws than it is on the web page interface, but if it's messing up the router, I'll use the web page interface instead.