cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gaming?

manero
Grafter

gaming?

gaming? my usage is currently showing 92.61MB for gaming. I've never played a game in my life. anyone any ideas what else it could be? cheers.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

gaming?

Any children that could be using your connection. Huh
pjemmanuel
Grafter

gaming?

Strange you should mention that, I've got 192MB of gaming on my account so far this month, which I'm about a week into now.

I'm not disputing the amount of usage, because I've had a handfull of big downloads this week and the amount is consistent with what I've downloaded, but it certainly shouldn't be in gaming.

Has the VMBU gone bandit again?
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

gaming?

the online usage graph thingy obviously isn't totally exact. i'm not sure what they use to calculate stuff (protocols or whatever) but basically if something transfers data that looks like the kinda data that a game would transmit, it'd get listed as game data. personally i have broadband phone and usenet traffic listed, and i've never used either.

just use it as a guide. if all you use is the web and nothing else, then it'll generally show the majority of data in the web traffic column, but will usually show odd bits all over the place.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

gaming?

According to PN, the VMBU uses deep packet inspection to work out what data is being transferred and although it can sometimes get things wrong, I just find it odd that this month, and it is the first time it's happened, I get a whole chunk of gaming data in the first week of my month - I don't play games online at all, and neither do any other members of the family.

Most of my usage ends up in Web or Other, the Other being mostly MSN I believe, as my daughter tends to run her web cam most of the time, and on those days when she uses it a lot, it's normally the Other category that gets the big increases.

At the moment, I've got 300MB or so in Other, which is actually pretty low for my daughters usage in a week.
I've got 1.62GB in Web, which is high for my first week, but that includes several big downloads including XP SP2, Netbeans and a Java JDK.

When I compare my usual usage in Web for a week, I get the impression that some of my downloads have ended up in Gaming, there isn't enough in Web to cover my normal usage plus the extra files I've downloaded this week.
All the downloads were via http, so I find it odd that they should be categorised as anything else. The other thing I find odd is that there is at least one other person seing something similar this month, the first poster on this thread.