cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ftp

N/A

ftp

Is ftp blocked on BB+ or reduced to a very slow crawl?
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

ftp

Nope to the first part and maybe to the second depending on how much data you have transfered during peak times. If you have exceeded your peak time allowances, ALL traffic is limited, including FTP.

However, FTP to your plusnet webspace is not restricted at any time.
N/A

Re: ftp

Is ftp blocked on BB+ or reduced to a very slow crawl?

Seems - to me anyway - as if it's slowed to a crawl. As far as I know this is because it shares the same prioritisation as P2P as is at the bottom of the pecking order in network terms.
N/A

ftp

My FTP is almost always downloading at under 1 KB/s! No matter what time (on peak/off peak). According to my stats ive downloaded 700mb peak and 1.34 off peak. Is that too much with the Broadband Plus package?

I've raised tickets, but got no solid reply as yet. Why is it that slow?

If this continues i'll just have to go elsewhere as FTP is very important to me.

Can anyone help? What is the best course of action for me?

Thanks,
-Nick
N/A

ftp

Why is it that slow?

If this continues i'll just have to go elsewhere as FTP is very important to me.

Can anyone help? What is the best course of action for me?

It's slow as external FTP is in the same class as P2P traffic and effectively gets throttled.

The best course of action if you need useable FTP is to move.
N/A

ftp

@weedavid: I think you may be right. It is crazy, I can download from web at great speed, but I can't update my own web page (not hosted by plusnet) because I can't get higher than 1KB!

Crazy, time to move I guess.

-Nick
N/A

ftp

Crazy, time to move I guess.

Nick, it might seem crazy, but there is some sense in it. Basically it's PlusNet's attempt to stop people who believe an ADSL connection is their right to download the internet swamping the available bandwidth to the detriment of us all.

As someone who occasionally use FTP to external sites and has noticed the difference since being placed on the new arrangements I wish Plus could find a way to allow "full-speed" outgoing FTP connections but still limit the inbound traffic.
N/A

ftp

Oh, I understand the need to limit traffic. But to limit FTP traffic to 1Kb/s at off peak as well as on peak times is the part that seems crazy. If they limited to 10kb/s that would be more than enough for casual use and surely that wouldn't cause a swamp of traffic.

I never new FTP was a big use of the Internet anymore (?)....I assumed it was all BitTorrent and P2P apps. Should they be lumping FTP into the same section as BitTorrent & P2P?

-Nick
N/A

ftp

FTP is traffic shaped, more so at peak time, to the point that it's almost unusable. In an attempt to prevent heavy downloaders from degrading legitimate services that many customers use for important reasons (like FTP) they have destroyed the service themselves. They've made the FTP protocol so slow that we'd probably be better off if they removed all the traffic shaping altogether and let people download what they like.
N/A

ftp

But to limit FTP traffic to 1Kb/s at off peak as well as on peak times is the part that seems crazy.

Nick,

If you're limited to 1Kb/s at off-peak times as well, there's something wrong. I've just checked and the FTP connection is as I expect it to be, i.e. useable. This is how it should at all times, but that's another story.
Laser
Grafter

ftp

As someone who occasionally use FTP to external sites and has noticed the difference since being placed on the new arrangements

Oh-oh, this doesn't look good. Are you saying your FTP performance fell from passable on the older BB+ package rules (like I'm still on) to unusable once the new 3GB peak thing kicked in this month?

I only use FTP for occasional downloads of small files (<5MB) and I thought they'd agreed to allow it for that purpose, after the last furore. Cry

I wish Plus could find a way to allow "full-speed" outgoing FTP connections but still limit the inbound traffic.

I'm sure they could easily do that, but it wouldn't help my cause much. Wink I know BB+ is the budget package, but I'd have thought since nearly-unshaped PAYG for the first GB is the same price, they could allow medium-shaped (say 512kbps) performance for BB+. No leecher is going to be interested in a package with a 3GB limit anyway.
N/A

ftp

@pendulum: I agree. Because there's slow, and there's slow. 1 KB/s is just nonsensical.

@lasernet: Everything was fine before. Even 5Mb at 1KB takes a long time Sad To me it doesn't make sense. I don't download much, but my friends that do leech every bit of media off the Internet use things like EasyNews USENET service anyway (which is all http), so why limit only FTP by so much?

@weedavid: Maybe I have my times for off-peak wrong, but I stayed up after midnight last night to try and still only got 1KB/s. Still no answer from PlusNet as to a definite reason.

-Nick
N/A

ftp

Oh-oh, this doesn't look good. Are you saying your FTP performance fell from passable on the older BB+ package rules (like I'm still on) to unusable once the new 3GB peak thing kicked in this month?

I'm on the new management, i.e. the shaping of protocols has changed. I've not exceeded the limits, so the slow speeds are nothing it do with that. It's just slow because of the shaping.

I only use FTP for occasional downloads of small files (<5MB) and I thought they'd agreed to allow it for that purpose, after the last furore. Cry

Below is one of the points that Plusnet http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1145890887.htm posted today:

[5] Some customers have identified issues with sites using streaming (for example "Google Video") and some external FTP servers. This is currently being investigated and we expect to have a solution to this issue within the next few days.

So, looks like they know about it, hopefully something more useable will come of it.
N/A

ftp

@weedavid: Thanks for the update! Smiley Most appreciated. I've been contacting plus net through their ticketing system, and although very slow, they do try to be helpful. They say my FTP connection shouldn't be affected by limitations on their end. But it must be, so they are investigating....
.....Lets hope they get it sorted Smiley

-Nick
N/A

ftp

I can FTP ok today, but was unable to maintain a connection at the end of last week, so I logged a ticket. This was the reply I recevied,

Please be advised that you will not be able to access external FTP sites from now on with the Broadband Plus account. If you wish to do so, you would need to switch over to either Broadband Premier or Broadband PayG.

Regards,
Dave Wilson

Is this really true? I don't see why I should have to pay a premium as my website are hosted on other servers!!!