cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ftp - problems ?

N/A

ftp - problems ?

Are there problems with ftp?
Downloading (26MB) of FreeBSD bootonly iso from several sites in several countries on two different computers, but the download stops after a few MB despite clipping along at a decent rate initially.

Downloaded other iso last night, but only one had correct md5sum.
Managed to download boot iso three times before above fault. Different md5sum each time.

I rebooted the modem and computer(s). Same result.

It is 09:00.
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ftp - problems ?

Hi,

There's no problems that I know of, have you tried downloading from another source in case the problem is at the BSD mirror you are using?
MacOS10
Grafter

ftp - problems ?

I'm getting the same problem, trying to upload my website to my domain (hosted with PlusNet).

Initially it connects fine, and the first files start uploading OK, then it comes up with "Server not responding" - Dreamweaver then reconnects and it starts uploading again. Trouble is, because it was interupted halfway through uploading, I then have to check all files have been uploaded OK, so I have to upload that folder again. There can't be anything wrong with my FTP settings, as it connects initially, but just seems to time-out.

There's nothing in the Service Status pages, so what's going on?
MacOS10
Grafter

ftp - problems ?

Hmm, this is getting interesting...

Just checked the FTP logs in Dreamweaver for the failed upload and see this:
< 220- < 220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are dialled into our network.
< 220-
< 220-A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this server, each session is limited to 64KB/s downloads and 32KB/s uploads.
< 220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
> USER stevenharrington
< 331 Password required for stevenharrington.
> PASS
< 230 User stevenharrington logged in.
> PWD
< 257 "/" is current directory.
> PWD
< 257 "/" is current directory.server, each session is limited to 64KB/s downloads and
< 220-32KB/s uploads.
< 220 Plus.Net FTP Server #5 ready
> USER stevenharrington
< 331 Password required for stevenharrington.
> PASS
< 230 User stevenharrington logged in.
> PWD
> PWD

Dunno what that means - I am connected via my PlusNet connection, so does this mean I'm limited to a session?
Community Veteran

ftp - problems ?

Every connection gets the same message when they connect to the FTP server.

The first text is just telling you you must be on a PN IP to access the ccgi server.

The second means you can have up to 4 sessions (connections) to the ccgi server, each one will be limited in speed as indicated. Some FTP clients can establish more than one session (connection) at the same time and PN are restricting that to just 4 at the same time.
pebbles
Grafter

ftp - problems ?

I have always had problems uploading files to my web space, the connection just stops so the file gets dropped and th next file gets uploaded, so many don't make it. I was using smart ftp then tried wsftp all behaved the same, loads of files left not loaded.

Then I found filezilla, brilliant, it tells you that the file failed to upload then puts it at the back of the queue for re-upload at the end, so now the s l o w ftp isnt so much of a pain, no more lost files.