cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ftp on PAYG

N/A

ftp on PAYG

Would I be correct in my belief that all FTP on PAYG accounts is in the Gold queue? I am only wishing to clarify this, as I am currently only achieving a DL speed of 95KBs from an FTP server - but when using my NTL connection I can get 187KBs from the very same server (It is a friends server, and I know it is not experiencing any problems).
10 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

ftp on PAYG

All traffic PAYG is gold, all the time, so everything should be full speed. What sort of speed do you get on a BT Speed Test?
N/A

ftp on PAYG

Thanks Ben - That was what I thought.

I am rather reluctant to do a BT Speedtest at present, as I am partway through a Very large (3GB) download of SuSe Linux - and If I interupt it now I will not have enough bandwidth remaining this month to redownload it (and I can't afford to was te the bandwidth).

Once this download has completed (just under 10 hours), I will run the speedtest.
N/A

ftp on PAYG

Speed tests will not tell you the whole story. I just checked my speed and I'm getting 1800kbps but my FTP can only reach 1KB/s. And I know that that FTP is not slow because other users are getting over 150KB+ downloading from it right now.
N/A

ftp on PAYG

It depends on what account you are on, and whether you have any usage management in place on your account...

I know, as a previous BB+ user (until last week) that the ftp performance is pretty poor now it is being managed.
N/A

ftp on PAYG

On PAYG 2Mb. Current speed 94.0 KB/sec. Not normally that pathetic/slow Shocked
Community Veteran

ftp on PAYG

Are you sure it is not the source that is limiting the speed, which many servers do at times of heavy load. What about FTP from other sources?
N/A

ftp on PAYG

Right, my DL has now been interrupted by a power failiure, so I may as well do the speedtest before restarting it...

Further to the comment about restriction on the server - This is not the case, as I can download at the higher speed using my other connection.
N/A

ftp on PAYG

Ok, the speedtest returns a result of 1878Kbps, which I know is very good for a 2Mb connection.

It still doesn't explain, however, why I cannot download at a decent speed over ftp Sad

Never mind, I will just have to continue with the DL at the slower speed for the time being, as it is rather urgent (even more so, now that I have lost 3 hours of DL time thanks to the powercut).
ceridwen
Grafter

ftp on PAYG

(even more so, now that I have lost 3 hours of DL time thanks to the powercut).

Try using something like SmartFTP (http://www.smartftp.com/) - they can normally resume an aborted download rather than having to start from the beginning.

Matthew
N/A

ftp on PAYG

I will do in future, thanks for the tip Cheesy

Something is certainly amiss though, as i cannot upload properly via ftp either Sad (I cant get above 2Kbps up) but I can easily get 20Kbps+ using my NTL connection to the same server