cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frequent disconnections

Barry_Doe
Grafter

frequent disconnections

I wonder if others are suffering from my problem. It started 2300 last night and persists all day and I've asked support, but no response yet.

I'm on broadband and usually keep a connection all day. It's now disconnecting about every 2 mins, even in the middle of downloading from web.

Barry
41 REPLIES
N/A

frequent disconnections

Me too. No problems at my exchange apparently...

Simon
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

frequent disconnections

How do you find out if your exchange is OK or not?
N/A

frequent disconnections

By entering your phone number here: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

But I have since learned from telephone support that there are some works at my local exchange today. It's a pity that we can't have access to the BT page he was using to find this information...

Simon
N/A

frequent disconnections

gm4jjj
Rising Star

frequent disconnections

Thanks - it looks like the exchange has no major faults reported.
Oh dear - looks like that complicated contact us procedure is needed.
About 20 questions and you have to scroll down to the bottom to answer them in one tiny text field.
Think I'll phone PN ....
marble
Dabbler

frequent disconnections

I've have the same problem wit cut-offs.

It was OK this morning around 0900 but when I went online again around 1400
the problem appeared and it is still happening 3 hours later.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

frequent disconnections

I am OK myself, but a friend in the Highlands is having severe disconnect and slow speed problems (since at least yesterday).
Barry_Doe
Grafter

frequent disconnections

Despite raising a ticket on this at 0900 and being told it was 3 hours to clear, I have still had no response from support after 9 hours AND the stats still say everything is OK. Perhaps they're on holiday today??!!

Barry
N/A

frequent disconnections

I wonder if the varying storms bouncing around the UK are causing problems with the BT part of the network...
gm4jjj
Rising Star

frequent disconnections

I ended up having to tel customer service to get them to raise a ticket on behalf of the customer who is having the problem. What a carry-on! - Had to speak to the customer on my mobile while speaking to CS on my landline, then they needed her to disconnect her telephone (cutting us off of course).
I would have done it online - but PN's contact us form needs a radical rewrite to make it simpler to fill in the answers one at a time rather than giving about 20 questions and wee box at the bottom to put your answers in to all of the questions.
A lot of the tests cannot be done by the average user - try another modem/router /filter etc, because they don't have another one. - Who does? - I don't.
N/A

frequent disconnections

I'm getting frequent disconnects and DNS problems and packet loss all over the place since I got home from work.

I've rebooted my modem a couple of times to no avail.
run speed tests and traceroutes, but it all seems to be failling over while still withing the plus.net network...
gm4jjj
Rising Star

frequent disconnections

My friend is still getting continuous spells of reconnects. Oddly it does work for a little while.
If the BT tests prove that the line is OK then I have asked he to send me the router and I will test it on my line. It may have been lightning damage I am beginning to suspect.
N/A

frequent disconnections

It could be a faulty DLSM port caused by near hit of lightening.

A friend of mine experienced repeated line loss (every few minutes) last year. After several months of calling BT (he had BT Business Broadband) he had a BT engineer attend his home to check the link end to end. The first check passed and the engineer was going to leave when he decided to do a second check. The line failed during the second check and the engineer visited the Exchange, swapped the DSLAM port being used and all was OK.

The problems started immediately after the neighbour's house was hit by lightening!

Several modems and routers were tested on the line (one was provided free by BT) and BT were provided with status logs showing the line faults occuring but it still took a line failure to occur as the engineer was testing to finally convince BT that the problem was not at the domestic end of the line.

Ask BT to swap your port in the DSLAM in the exchange (this assumes you have been able to test your equipment to ensure it is working).
gm4jjj
Rising Star

frequent disconnections

Good comments- thanks.

It could certainly be either end, I notice that although line atten figures are good that SNR is low especially on the uplink side, which could mean a deaf DSLAM.

-- David