cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freeserve broadband modem

N/A

i have a freeserve broadband modem, can i use it with plus net. the modem in question is the alcatel speed touch USB (green case in the shape of a fish). thanks for any help.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Yes. Yes you can.
Community Veteran

And at any of the speeds that plusnet offer.
N/A

Depending on the type of modem you have, not all modems will work when changing to a different ISP.

A friend of mine had a copperjet ADSL modem from Freeserve, but it never worked on PlusNet services Cry . So I advise him to buy a proper adsl modem. :lol:

So please check the model and make of your adsl modem.

NB:

Do not trust ADSL packages their adsl modems are crap :twisted: they do not provide proper firewall security services and web based configuration. This aviods windows based login configuration
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I worked at Freeserve when they started supplying the Copperjet modem, it'd probably be unprofessional to give my opinion on it.
The frog on the other hand is a very good USB modem and you shouldn't have any problems with it on our ADSL service.
N/A

is it the green stingray as it is affectionately known as
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Squashed frog, stringray, all affectionate nicknames for the Speedtouch USB.
LiamM
Grafter

NB:

Do not trust ADSL packages their adsl modems are crap :twisted: they do not provide proper firewall security services and web based configuration. This aviods windows based login configuration

Most USB modems are like this. The modem that plusnet have provided to some of my friends has been quite good, though slightly overpriced. Routers are generally much better as they provide a natural firewall and web based configuration. I've heard BT Broadband/Yahoo! have started shipping their broadband with routers now instead of modems.
loopylizard

I recently moved to Plusnet from Wanadoo with the green Alcatel speedtouch modem and it's working fine. I've since upgraded to 1meg and no problems there either.

Cheesy
N/A

Hi There

It is basically the case that as long as you can access the config screen and change the username and password, and that the IP is not hard coded then you can use the modem.
N/A

thanks every body for your in put. i am now confident i have a back up broadband modem. Ta.