cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free setup + free modem = 72 quid! ???

N/A

someone explain this ripoff to me.
when i joined plusnet last spring it said in clear terms that it was free setup and free modem. it even says so now it seems.
why on earth are they asking me 72 pounds now that i'm wanting to leave!!!
pathetic way of doing business by trickin people.

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Removed acronym causing for the censored in the thread title.]
6 REPLIES
N/A

read the small print.
N/A

don't u think "free setup" is a little misleading?
i'm sorry for being so dumb and not being so clever in figuring out this rip off immediately....but it was surely hidden very well. Evil I would have never signed up if i knew this.
with any other company free setup means free setup....why in the plusnet world free setup means 72 pounds.
72 pounds equals almost 5 months subscription!!!
N/A

I have to agree that it could be construed as mis-leading, in much the same way as Car Phone Warehouse/ TalkTalk (or was it Sky) advertised their free Broadband offer.

I think they had to change the wording slightly after investigation by the advertising standards agency.

PlusNet have never been tested, as far as I know, on their wording. There have been numerous complaints on these boards about the small print being very hard to find; none of the complaints have been resolved and finding the small print is still a matter of time and luck...
N/A

HAHAHAHHHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHA :shock:

Marvellous
N/A

Re: free setup + free modem = 72 quid! ???

someone explain this ripoff to me.
when i joined plusnet last spring it said in clear terms that it was free setup and free modem. it even says so now it seems.
why on earth are they asking me 72 pounds now that i'm wanting to leave!!!
pathetic way of doing business by trickin people.

I had the same problem as you, but, only with a migration. I'm a stickler for checking small print - I saw 'free migration', could never find any terms on it, even phoned them up and clarified it was indeed free - couple months later on the forums and all is revealed in that it isn't free, simply 'deferred'. If you have anything documented, see the link in my signature for complaining to plusnet and then taking it further - it may pay off in this case.

I'm outside my one year period now, and BE are coming here next month Smiley
N/A

I noticed the "free setup" and "free modem", but at that same time, noticed an asterix saying "terms and conditions apply", in which it clearly said that it was indeed free if you stayed for 5 years, otherwise it simply reduced for each year you stayed.

Setup is normally £47. Modem is normally £25. So if your leaving within 12 months, then it would be a £72 charge. Leave it 12 months and you should find it reduces to £57 ish, so if you've done 11 months or so already, it may pay just to stay a little longer.