cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free backup dialup account

N/A

I read that PN now have a free backup dialup account for people who have lost their broadband connection - I have been without mine for a week now.

I can dial-up connect to 0845 1400101 ok but of course this costs xxp per min.

When I use the number for the free service 0808 9933270 it rejects my pasword/username.
Do PN have to set this up to work or is there some online setup I need to do to make it work?

TIA

Rod
16 REPLIES
N/A

Yes - it gets activated when you have logged a fault and PN have acknowledged it. If you already have an open fault, might just be worth adding to the ticket you would like to use this facility.
N/A

Thank for the reply.

The problem started b4 the announcement
so sounds like I will have to nudge them.

Rod
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi Rod,

Your account is not configured for 0808 access. From what I can see you are in the process of moving house as opposed to having a potential fault on your line.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

so this option cannot be used to check service status if I am unable to connect using ADSL, I would like to retract my statement I made in the other thread. Why cant this be enabled permanently to 0808 , I mean who in their right mind would opt to use dialup when they have broadband?
N/A

Someone who has broadband at home, but not at there friends/relatives/etc maybe?

Hmmm, how about if the 0808 is enabled for everyone, but with the restriction that it must be dialled from the phone number the adsl line is activated on, and perhaps only for a hour or so per day unless agreed with the CS staff? If there is a problem at Plusnet, I think even Plusnet themselves would prefer people to read the service status online and/or leave a ticket, rather than phoning up the support desk.
Community Veteran

if theres a problem at PN that means people can't get online then theres a dedicated automated service status line that reads out the service status messages - 0845 002 0173 also if the PN site is down theres an off network service status page at http://servicestatus.net
N/A

Just been told that I don't qualify for this because I have not got a line fault - having no connection at all apparently does not count.

When I heard this announced I though wow PN doing good for a change. No such luck, this is just another PN no-service scam perhaps a line fault is defined as one that completly disables your phone line so you could never us it anyway. Just like the insurance companies who seem to have endless get-out clauses to cover almost all claims.

You have shown your true colours PN.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

@rodsmith,

We have offered to credit you for the downtime whilst your ADSL is reprovisioned at your new address. TBH I would be happy to provide you with FRIACO dial up access but I'm reluctant to do this at present as I do not want it to interfere with your reprovisioning (it's quite easy to 'break' accounts by adding non-generic components). I'm also unsure of the procedure in this situation (which is something I will chase up).

Regarding some of the other feedback in this thread, the reason we cannot provide 0808 access at all times is really to prevent the service being abused. Theoretically customers could give the number to somebody else to use.

It is true that FRIACO accounts are bound to the number you are calling from however it is easy to change this information via the web portal. If we were to offer free dial up at all times then a reasonable amount of coding would need to be implemented to remove the CLI controls from the web portal, but only for ADSL customers with the free component.

I'm also pretty sure that trying to upgrade accounts or change them whilst they have free dial up access would result in unwanted consequences.

I shall feed some of this back to the product team.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

When I once logged on with the backup dial-up account, using my ADSL username and password, it assigned me the same IP address as my ADSL connection.

Surely this stops someone handing out the details to all and sundry, as traffic wouldn't route properly if 2 or more people are logged on.

My 2 cents

Samir
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Thinks that's true with Premier and PAYG, but for Plus and Basic where they have dynamic addresses, you probably would get a different one.

Phil
N/A

So I was wrong (in some cases), that's why it was only worth 2 cents
Community Veteran

PlusNet are being very generous here offering 0808 dial-up when you have a logged connection fault. Are there any other residential ISP offering this service?

I can understand why PlusNet have chosen to limit this, as it could be abused and you do not need it unless you have an acknowledged connection problem.

Chilly

PS, Why am I defending an ISP that has left me with out a ADSL connection for over 3 weeks!!!
shellsong
Grafter

Bad withdrawal symptoms? Tongue
Community Veteran

Half a bottle of red. Shockedops: