cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free Domain's

N/A

free Domain's

Can I ask, whan are the free domain's being dished out, a near enough date would be exceptable. thanks :?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

free Domain's

With the cost of a "co.uk" domain from 123-reg.co.uk being £2.59 per year. I personally would not take PlusNet's offer, but pay for it to ensure that I keep control.

I can see this offer coming back to bite in a few years time if you decide to move on from PlusNet.

Chilly
N/A

free Domain's

cheers Chilly, but was,nt there something in the report that stated that because of the problems we were all inflicted with, (which i am glad to say I am nolonger thanks to an ID change,,,( Smug Mode Cheesy )) that we could have a change of username+ a free domain?

If that is the case I want one.
Community Veteran

free Domain's

I believe the free domain was only to replace an existing domain you have which is receiving spam. Its not just a free domain for anyone. I'm not sure what the situation is with it.

It is possible to request a name change now, although it is a very involved manual process to switch you but some have had it done who were severely affected by the spam.
N/A

free Domain's

correct me if i am wrong but this part of the report:

From the suggestions we have received from customers so far we will implement the following:

1) The ability to change your username

2) Get a free .uk domain name

3) SSL encrypted connections for POP3 and IMAP email and FTP

4) Improvements to the ‘Manage my mailbox’ tool

5) The ability to blackhole username@username.plus.com

6) Publishing our spam detection rates on our website for comparison with other ISPs

7) Publishing our new Privacy Policy and Data Retention policies on our portal.

We will contact all our customers with firm timescales for the above improvements.

Again, apologies for the lateness of this one tonight - It’s been another late one for us all.

Regards,

Ian Wild

Whether or not pn are talking about members with domains already, I personaly read that as no. I have raised a question
which I am awaiting an answer..

As to the change of username I have already,, which with only one hiccup was easy for the member,,, a bit more for CS, but not the nightmare many members may think.

The only downsides are your start up date is from now, and not your original and obvious all the mail addresses that you have to notify people of. :roll:
alben
Grafter

free Domain's

I expect plusnet to honour the offer of a domain, if not I will be giving more thought to switching to sky (hate the idea but it will save me money). I have stayed loyal, but if they renege on this, likely I will be off.

Alan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

free Domain's

I don't see why we can't, I'm not 100% on specifics for the domain but will make sure it's checked tomorrow.
hop
Grafter

free Domain's

Any update on this?

Thanks.
Community Veteran

free Domain's

My domain, which I had with PN but moved due to last years problems, is being hit hard with spam but I refuse to change it as it's known to all my contacts and is easy to remember. I'll have to live with being * off about that. Unhappy customer.

But how do we request a change of username?

A
Liam
Grafter

free Domain's

The specifics of what we have said we are going to deliver in the incident report are being fleshed out this week.

Some will take longer to do than others, but as soon as we have some more info and some rough dates, we'll make sure we let you know.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

free Domain's

I agree with Chilly here, that for the sake of the very small cost per annum I would pay for one elsewhere and have the ability to say change the name servers, something which you can't do with PlusNet (and other ISP's as well).

Which will be fine while you want to have the domain hosted by PlusNet, and of course remain a customer - but if you wanted to move the hosting to another company (as I have done since I wanted more webspace) you would also have to transfer the domain.
thehatman
Grafter

free Domain's

How much does it cost to migrate a hosted domain away from PlusNet?

And how much does it cost to migrate one in?

Is it best to register a domain at 123 say, but have PN host it?
Community Veteran

free Domain's

Not really, set up a domain with ukreg.com or anybody else for £3/year.

These give you about 50 e-mail addresses you can configure to forward to another e-mail box, so set it to forward to a GoogleMail or Yahoo account to take advantage of the virus/spam filtering, and then configure your e-mail client to collect the e-mail from Googlemail/Yahoo.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

free Domain's

Depends on whether it is registered with PlusNet or elsewhere:

• If registered elsewhere its free.
  • If registered through plusnet it depends on whether you have bought it outright (paid the full fee for 2 years use) or its included on your account for £1/month (you pay for the registration over 12/24 months).

• If you own it then its free to move out
    • if its your £1/month it is expensive in the first year and free in the second year (the domain is registered for 2 years but you pay for the registration in the first year effectively).

Nothing. Depending on your account type you can host from 1 to 5 domains free of charge.

Very much yes, although I recommend 1and1 for registration - .co.uk £4.68 for 2 years. .com/.org etc £8.89 per year.
N/A

free Domain's

With the cost of a "co.uk" domain from 123-reg.co.uk being £2.59 per year. I personally would not take PlusNet's offer, but pay for it to ensure that I keep control.
...Chilly

Couldn't agree more

Nothing - have done it.

Depends on where it's already hosted - most don't charge.

For the sake of £25 per year why bother to use PlusNet? If you spend that you can get hosting for several domains, probably all the features we've been banging on about for ages (proper backups, usable cgi within the same domain, proper spam filtering etc), reliability and much more flexibility.
I speak from personal experience - much better to host separate domains with a hosting company.