cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flex modem problem?????

owlguard
Grafter

flex modem problem?????

Hello,im looking for new pc and have seen a few what have said they have a flex modem and to check that this works with your isp,can anyone give me a definete answer on this little problem.
regards ray.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

flex modem problem?????

Unless i'm much mistaken Isn't that a dial up modem? If so it won't work on ADSL...
owlguard
Grafter

flex modem problem?????

Thanks for that mate,i have a spedtouch330 usb modem that im using now for my broadband but im a thick 57 year old Yorkshireman.Does it mean i dont really need a modem in my pc,I know my present pc has a modem but i am not savvy to these things as you can see.I dont intend going back to dialup but would having a pc without a dialup modem in it leave me disadvantaged.
regards ray
Alecto
Grafter

flex modem problem?????

Depends on whether you want the option of dialup backup if your broadband goes down.

I've not got a dialup modem, as you can do sod all with dialup apart from the odd email and logging on to the forum, and most people I know don't bother with one either. If BB goes down, I just wait for it to come back up.. A rare occurrence anyway.

And it might save a pound or two not having one. But it's personal choice really.
N/A

Dial-up Modem

For the small cost of a modem card I think it a good investment to have a dial-up backup connection.
Also, if you want to send / receive faxes on a 1ft or second line then it's also a good idea.
N/A

flex modem problem?????

A pretty fair summation from Geoff.

I don't have one for my PC, but I do have one built into my laptop.
Would I pay any extra to have one? No. But it does depend on whether you are concerned at the possibility of being without net access if you have a problem.

My PC is upstairs and away from a phone socket, I use wireless to connect to my router which is downstairs. A modem would be pretty useless for me in my PC, since I have nothing to plug it into.

If you get one without a modem, and decide you need one later on, you can buy an external one if you don't fancy the idea of opening up the case. Last time I got one (a few years ago I admit) it was around £15. (An internal one would probably be a few quid cheaper)

No doubt somebody will add more up-to-date pricing for comparision. Wink
owlguard
Grafter

flex modem problem?????

Thanks to all who have given me advice about backup modems etc,thanks a lot.
Community Veteran

flex modem problem?????

@ James

I think atbs1 made a better summation actually. Wink
N/A

flex modem problem?????

You're probably right! In my defence his post wasn't there when I started typing. Shockedops:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

flex modem problem?????

Yep, I have the same as James. No modem in my desktop, but I do in my laptop. I've been lucky not to have had hardly any broadband problems, except once when the connection went down at 1am. Though it was probably a good thing as it made me go to bed and was back on in morning Smiley

I only use the dial-up once per couple of months to keep my old BT Internet e-mail address active.

But as has been said, depends on how much not having a connection would affect you. I have net access at work, so for me it would be a pain, but not essential.
Alecto
Grafter

flex modem problem?????

@ James

I think atbs1 made a better summation actually. Wink

Not true. He gave no reasons, simply his preference to have a modem. I, and many others, disagree with that.
Community Veteran

flex modem problem?????

I don't remember specifically saying you were wrong Geoff.

I said that,I think(as in my opinion) that atbs1 post, which does infact give a reason (a good one) to have a dial up modem, makes more sense than trying to save a couple of quid at point of sale on a new PC!

Not true.

:? Whatever!