firewalls

what are the best firewalls around.
5 REPLIES
N/A

firewalls

the best or the cheapest?

ZoneAlarm is good

SyGate was good but is now Norton so Ill leave you to make your own mind up

IPCOP ( Linux based machine acting like a router and firewall ) this is a good one ive been told and you can role play with this. Your Plusnet and your partner is the punter and you get to limit the traffic etc. ( Nothing intended bar a little fun Wink )

Thats all I can suggest really as I rely a lot on my router and then have a small software firewall running.
N/A

firewalls

Hi there,

In addition to Toms suggestions,

The excellent Essential Security Software contains some very helpful information and recommendations on all aspects of system security and includes a number of firewall recommendations.

Well worth a read.

Hope that helps.
N/A

firewalls

IPCop is the best by far....well imo anyway.

And if you are looking for one preconfigured, I can offer my services....... :lol:

All you'll need is an old scrapper of a PC and the ISO image from http://ipcop.org
madswitcher
Grafter

firewalls

Hi dabadoo,

You may have seen a post I made about a week ago.

If you have several machines that you need to protect on the way out as well as in, then have a look at putting up a separate machine running something like ipcop or Endian, that is in series with you modem to the outside world. Endian is neat since it includes a firewall. proxy server, IDS, Cache and virus inspection all in the one software suite - www.efw.it. - It also runs the SNORT rules that you can get from Sourceforge or Snort themselves

cheers, Mie
N/A

firewalls

@hastings

Endian seems well worth a look. It has the same feature set as IPCop but the addition of AV is a bonus. I may have to drag another scrapper out of the attic to have a play with it........there goes the rest of the weekend!!!!

:lol: