cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finally upgraded to ADSL MAX but have concerns..

N/A

Hi all,

Been upgraded to ADSLMAX but no improvments so far.

Heres my stats since the upgrade...
-----------------------------------
Netgear DG834GT Wireless Router
Connection Speed 3488 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 6.1 db 18.0 db

Speed Test Results
Downstream 935.8 Kbps ( = 0.9 Mbps )
Upstream 378.0 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )
------------------------------------

Currently, my average download speeds via HTTP or USENET are about 115kbps which is no different to my old 1mb connection.

I was actually told by plusnet staff, a few weeks ago during the 'request an upgrade' thread, that he didn't recommend I switched to ADSLMAX due to poor line quality. But seeing as thought its already gone ahead i'm now worried i may not see any improvements in the future.

I've also had a call from a BT (Openreach?) engineer (after raising a call for a possible noisy line) and he told me my phone line is 4.5km long and that BT cannot do anything about it. He said my ISP should be contacted to arrange for an engineer to see if there is a shorter line available at the exchange. Does anyone know if this is something Plusnet would look into?

Stats from Samknows.com
------------------------------------------
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

You are connected to the Breadsall telephone exchange

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 1.32km from the exchange (straight line distance).
------------------------------------------

The bottom line is that I am very dissapointed to be stuck on a 1mb line and if nothing can be done I will have to look into getting cable broadband where i should be able to get 4mb for around the same price!

Thanks for reading,
Andy
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

You don't say how long you have been on max but it is likely your stable rate is still showing 1000kbps.
It can take up to 10 days from start of max to change.
Given your stats you will probably finish up with a stable rate of 2000 or 2500 kbps.
As your stats don't really match what BT are saying I would try connecting to the test socket (behind the NTE5 lower section) and see what the result is
N/A

According to that link..
...current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps (i wish!)

I tried the test line inside the BT master socket a few weeks ago to see if the line attenuation lowered but it made no difference. I even bought a new ADSL filter.

I hope your right about it taking a few days to see any changes.

Thanks for the reply!
Andy
shellsong
Grafter

Actually the attenuation figures back up what the Openreach engineer was saying about the line being 4.5 Km long but I don't know whether it is possible for them to find a shorter route to the exchange-- sounds a little unlikely that BT would go to those lengths even if it's possible!
N/A

Thought I would update my post to say that i am now seeing better speeds on my new ADSLMAX connection, 14 days after being connected.

Yesterday I followed the instructions from another post to check the BT Speedtester which meant changing my router login settings from plusnet.dsl to the BT details and when i changed back to the plusnet credentials I noticed a dramatic speed increase.

My downloads have now gone from less than 100kb/s to nearer 300kb/s which was a satisfying experience!

I would suggest anyone who hasn't tried this who is still getting slow speedtest results to try the same!

here's the thread that helped me..
https://www.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

..and the official BT speedtest instructions..
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Hope this helps,
Andy
ady
Grafter

ahh nice ill check these links out
thx