cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finally free upgrade:so what are the speeds i can expect ?

N/A

ok couldnt fit exact question on title so here it is.

finally got my upgrade yesterday, and rang Plusnet to do the nesscassary changes to my account.

my few questions are this....

ive done the new speed tests, and i get the 1.8 on average tests (ive heard this is about right, is it?.
my main question is, what speeds can i expect on my torrent downloads.
i will say i am fully aware of the hit and miss of torrent downloading (which i must say a lot of folks just dont get it ), i will say my usual speed on bit torrent was in the most cases was very very good.

i got a speeds of 50+ around 70% of the time, which i do know is extremly good.

now would i be right in saying if i get speeds of around 120/140, would be about right?

iam only asking as iam trying one out now , and there are ample folks sharing, and yet all night its never gone over 50kps again, i know about patiance , but i would have expected at least a few times to hit the 100+ mark, but nope.

if anybody knows the insides of my torrent client "bit tornado", is there settings to make the client download faster.

a lot of question i know but would just like to know what i can expect. on the average.

i do know as i have said the ins and outs on here, which i must say i wish everybody would apricite that to, you just have to exppect with bit torrent, its a very hit and miss afair, but on average you should be hitting your max 50kps+, on a good download ,, at least 60%+ for the duration of the download.

you have to realise its all dependant on the people you are sharing with.

with the one iam doing overnight has 150+ seeds and that is exceptional, and yet as ive asked here, never has it gone over 50kps all night.

so any help from somebody who knows that bit extra about torrents, also what is the average speed i can expect now with my new speed increase.
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Glad to hear the speed regrade has gone through.

Regarding the speedtest, that sounds about right, a bit of tweaking may get you a bit more speed, and it may also help out with the torrent speeds. The settings that seem to work best for me are MTU = 1430 and RWIN = 57600, but others report others are best for them.

Torrent speeds can vary quite a lot, because you are entirely dependant on the upload speed of others and how much of that upload you can receive. Sometimes you have 220KB/s+ other times 10KB/s.

Download speeds will also depend on your upload speeds. Whenever you are downloading you are uploading "ack" packets to say you've received that chunk of data, if you max out your upload then there's little room for the ack packets and so your download speed will reduce.
N/A

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213254#213254

ive made a reply here about what i have been testing today, if you check it out you will see ive been running torrent tests today, and even with a torrent with 300 peers, and 140 seeds, has never ever all day gone above 50kps....i got more on 512.

and yet normal dl speeds have been 140+

ia m really starting to suspect here +net are doing some form of throttling back of p2p, i want to know if they are.....we have 2 meg....let us use it all.
Community Veteran

Indeed they are throttling p2p, although, apparently you shouldn't be seeing speeds that low. apparently when they introduced it they put some people on the wrong profile, would it be worth raising a ticket to find out if you were?
N/A

and even with a torrent with 300 peers, and 140 seeds, has never ever all day gone above 50kps....i got more on 512.

If you can find a torrent with more seeds than leachers then that should get you a faster download, also if you check the torrent details see what percentage of the torrent the seeds have got because if there is not enough of them with 100% then the the last bit can take a while.

Ideally if you can get a high ratio say 4 seeds for every leach then that should speed things up, but bear in mind it's a lot easier to max a 512 connection than a 2Mb because most people will only upload at 20-25Kb/s, and if that is getting shared between a few different torrents then it's impossible to tell what speed you should be getting.
N/A

grake

yup i see were ur coming from m8, anf fully understand, as i have to explain this countless times to my friends who have no idea of how torrents work.

but you got to agree weith me here, not moving off 50kps at all, just doesnt sound right with this many connections.

i await more info after reading this post....you wont belive it when you read it...

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i tend to think thats more lickly the answer..dont you?
N/A

And you have definatly had the throttle lifted at PN's end since your upgrade?

It does sound strange but the traffic shapping should not affect your speed hardly at all maybe 5-10 kb/s at the most, and those guys on the reduced profile would be lucky to get 6kb/s, imagine that, rank or what!
N/A

all i have done, is the first initial, phone call to change the old 512 settings.

but having read more inti it on these forums, it looks like there is a chance that some may be still have the so called "packet shaping", and becase of my hurrensoud torrent speeds all weekend, i have and stilla wair a reply on a ticket, for +net to have a closer look to see if this is the problem,

becase there definaltly feels something isnt quite right.50kps all weekend on torrents is not right on a 2 meg line...not by a long way.