cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file sharing

N/A

file sharing

Could somebody help me please i signed up to plusnet about 2 weeks ago then a week later i upgraded to premier because i some time go onto file sharing sites.I have done a few speed checks on different sites and i get about 1800 kbps.The problem i have got is when i go onto file sharing sites i get slower downloads than i did when i was on 512 broadband and if i try to browse the internet the same time it is like i am on dialup.could anybody help.
10 REPLIES
kwhawell
Grafter

file sharing

Hi, the result of the problem could well be what is known as traffic shaping, basically, higher priority is given to things like email, surfing, HTTP downloads etc, but file sharing software is given a lower priority, I don't know how exactly this affects the premier service, but I am on the broad band plus 2 meg service, and it certainly affects me, although just recently I pulled off file sharing networks due to what the RIAA, and BPI are doing, don't wanna get done!
N/A

Re: file sharing

Could somebody help me please i signed up to plusnet about 2 weeks ago then a week later i upgraded to premier because i some time go onto file sharing sites.I have done a few speed checks on different sites and i get about 1800 kbps.The problem i have got is when i go onto file sharing sites i get slower downloads than i did when i was on 512 broadband and if i try to browse the internet the same time it is like i am on dialup.could anybody help.

Which file sharing sites?

Do you mean bittorent?

Remember, if the file you are downloading is going at full speed then you cant still browse the net at broadband speeds so it will seem like you are on dial up.
N/A

file sharing

Edonkey.When i was on 512 broadband i got downloads upto 60 but the highest i am getting now is 25-30.
N/A

file sharing

Welcome to PlusNet.

On a more serious note this is probably their "Low packet shaping" taking effect. I get the exact same thing on even less speed than you, I am currently getting 2kbs a sec on EVERYTHING I download from p2p/torrent however downloading from a HTTP source such as a site I will get 90-100kbs

According to PlusNet the packetshaping will take away very little of your overall speed... perhaps this is what they intended but it certainly isnt working as I am loosing over 95% of my speed.
N/A

file sharing

If your browsing suddenly stops working while using a file sharing app such as Azureus, Shareaza etc then it is more likely your modem/router is being overloaded with connections. Try limiting the number of connections down low, while keeping bandwidth settings high. This helps on my BT voyager 205 (after of course opening the required ports on the firewall).
N/A

file sharing

I'll second the router issue. That is if you are using a router of course. What hardware have you got connecting you to ADSL?
N/A

file sharing

Thanks for trying to help.I am using a U.S robotics usb modem.I have never had problems with my downloads before when i was on 512 broadband.it is only since i moved to plusnet.I even upgraded to premier.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

file sharing

Have you disconnected and reconnected since upgrading your connection?
N/A

file sharing

yes i got upgraded last saturday 28 august.I have also tried different setting on edonkey but still not getting downloads faster than 25-30kb.But got 50-60 when i was on 512 braodband with another company.
Sandro
Grafter

file sharing

simon1905, the speed of p2p downloading depends on the upload speed of your co-edonkeyers, on the number of sources etc.. You can't get high speeds if they upload slowly. It can not be stable by definition.
I do really doubt if plusnet has to do anything with your issue.
The speed you quoted is quite a standard, good speed for edonkey. 25-30 kb is my GOOD speed, no matter what provider I had. However I must tell you that yesterday night I got 70 - which never happened to me on 512 broadband connection with Wanadoo - all my Linux disks came in no time... Smiley

While upgrading edonkey it is easy to destroy the file where you keep your score-rating with other known edonkey/emules - hence a drastic drop in downloading speeds after uprgading your p2p program.