cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

f9 keep customers by good service not hidden charges!

N/A

I have a broadband account with f9 and it seems that rather than providing a good enough service to make it's customers WANT to stay f9 adopts a policy of punitive charges 'encouraging' them to do so.

If I were to cancel my monthly account (after giving the correct notice period) I'd still have to pay a "Deferred Activation £47.00(upon cancellation)" fee. The reason I signed up was in part due to the FREE activation, no mention about it being deferred, perhaps it was in size 4 font at the bottom of a terms and conditions somewhere but I think no one could argue that this is very misleading.

The management at f9 have always chosen to do business in this way. Can anyone remember the good old "write in to cancel your account policy" from force9 of old? You may have thought that an email or online form would be acceptable but the policy was there for no other reason other than to discourage all but the most determined account closer.

So please f9 rely solely on providing a good service to keep customers not these cowboy policies!

P.S - f9 also charge you for downgrading your account, care to explain why f9?
15 REPLIES
N/A

Hello stephenwood,

Yes! well what can I say?, I tend to agree very much with your sentiments. Your obviously a customer who can remember the old written account closure policy of some years ago.

**The problem with F9 is that some of their statements & some of the wording used in marketing when describing products or services, can be very misleading because although you cannot say such things are outright lies as such. Its down to how customers or users interpret such wording or statements. YES! I agree its a very thin line or fine line between truth and unthruth.

**Perhaps a good example would be "use your connection as much as you like when you like" this sounds fine. But the next thing a new potential customer should be made fully aware of is the fact that F9 have a useage policy in place including peak & non peak times & monthly allowences. To my way of thinking the first statement should be clarified when a new customer signs up and should have to read a T&C's screen before a final signing up is completed (perhaps even backup by an email of the T&C's or fair useage policy email after signing is completed). New customers should be in no! doubt about exactly what they are signing up to.

**Information on deferred actvation fee's, or account closure fee's, etc should be completely transparent and very clear for any customer to see or read. The company has a responsiblity to provide this and it shouldnt be hidden away or difficult to find. This should be available at any time here on F9 portal.

**The problem as I said before is that words like unlimited, or unrestricted, or deferred or free is the WAY they are used for marketing purposes. Frankly its far too easy to be taken in by such wording, because if it sounds too good to be true it probably is (its almost a CON!! but not quite!! and thats the problem), many people are naive to think otherwise. Perhaps I'm just getting very cynical but I honestly dont believe a word of such non sense and take marketing blurbb with the utter contempt it fully deserves, most of it is hot air or plain flim flam!! and the quicker customers realise that the better.

**Marketing people relie on potential new users being abit naive IMO.

Ivan
N/A

I agree they do use very misleading marketing, in this particular case I would go so far as saying that the initial statement made was a lie. Something can be free OR deferred but not both, the two terms are mutually exclusive!
N/A

I think that F9 might simply argue that it was free "at the time of activation" as you pay nothing at that point :roll:

GB
N/A

That's the only thing they can say I suppose although that's not consistent with any definition of 'free' that I've ever heard.

Irresponsible misleading marketing Sad
JonathanW
Grafter

Re: f9 keep customers by good service not hidden charges!

If I were to cancel my monthly account (after giving the correct notice period) I'd still have to pay a "Deferred Activation £47.00(upon cancellation)" fee. The reason I signed up was in part due to the FREE activation, no mention about it being deferred, perhaps it was in size 4 font at the bottom of a terms and conditions somewhere but I think no one could argue that this is very misleading.

This isn't a hidden charge that's been slipped in there. The terms of the You Stay, We Pay offer are clearly linked from the product pages that mention it. And this link is generally in the section of the page that first mentions the offer. This has been the case for quite several months, and was changed in the middle of last year.

P.S - f9 also charge you for downgrading your account, care to explain why f9?

Most of the time an account downgrade has to be done manually, as the process isn't fully automated due to the small number of downgrade requests that we received. Additionally, there might be a fee to change your BT product, for example if you're going from a 20:1 product to a 50:1 product.
N/A

Without wishing to get into a long and pointless rant about this...

I'm sure this was in the terms and conditions, which is something that I acknowledged. My point is that slapped all over the screen was the word 'FREE' in bold type and bright colours when it was not free but deferred. To present the view that the account activation is free then have contradictory detail in the less conspicuous terms of use policy is misleading - fact.

The second point seems fair although I'm somewhat confused by the term 'might' be a charge by BT.
ukbrown
Grafter

Tiscali still advertise their connection as unlimited, but they put in small print that thye have a fair usage polcy.

see here for proof http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/?code=ZZ-NL-12DE

So what would you think if you signed up for Tiscali Today

Hidden in the small print

During peak hours, customers affected by the fair usage policy will share bandwidth with each other and will be separated from other customers. The amount of bandwidth available for affected customers to share, will be at least as much as for those customers unaffected by the policy.
The speed affected customers experience when downloading at peak hours will therefore depend on what these customers are doing. If they are all web-browsing and reading emails, they will experience normal broadband speed. If on the other hand they are using Peer to Peer or file sharing software they will experience slow broadband speed. Outside of peak hours, no restrictions will apply.

Does this make F9 look more honest and possibly a better ISP ?Huh
N/A

f9 is possibly a better ISP than Tiscali, without using them I can't give an opinion but that's really not the point I'm making anyhow. The fact that other ISPs also use misleading marketing doesn't make much difference to this, I'm asking f9 to stop doing it!
quelquod
Rising Star

<rant>I don't think the free, deferred, call it what you like, activation is misleading in the slightest. Does noone read anything at all before they sign up? I can think of lots of services where there is a minimum period during which the setup charges are amortised. This is just whingeing for the sake of it IMHO - do you really expect F9 (ie really F9's other customers) to subsidise people who choose to take this route?</rant>

More seriously, this is just 1 charging model which the user can opt for. If he later wants to break the terms of the contract it's hardly a pity if he has to pay the economic cost of the setup is it? The deal I joined on amortised the costs over a twelvemonth and I knew about it and accepted it. Caveat emptor, and read the words.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

Hi,

Call me cynical but you've a FAT CHANCE!! of getting F9 to change their dodgy marking wording, why? because they believe its OK to word things in this way and until someone actually hauls them over the coals for it then I suspect they will continue to see it as acceptible to get away with such half truth's.

Only until someone makes a compliant to the advertising standards council or starding standards or both, they might be forced (kicking & screeming!!) to change it but asking politely or even angrily probably wont work IMO. F9 are just crass minded on stupid stuff like this. (and just because other companies & other ISP's do the same doesnt make OK does it, its still dodgy).

**In other words F9 will try and get away with stuff like this for as long as they can as they see it as acceptible practise or any potential punter is fair game and if they fall for it thats OK.

Ivan
N/A

theadamsons:
"don't think the free, deferred, call it what you like, activation is misleading in the slightest"
Not sure how you can argue that it's not misleading as I've already stated saying something is free then contradicting that in the small print is misleading please explain how it's not? The other point you made relates to whether f9 charging me the activation fee is reasonable. If you read my posts you'll see this is something that I'm not arguing about. My issue is solely with the way that they sold the account.

Ivan:
Yeah I know they won't do anything. Its just something I noticed and my post was a way of letting them know that it's a policy that is not liked.
N/A

Not sure how you can argue that it's not misleading as I've already stated saying something is free then contradicting that in the small print is misleading please explain how it's not?

Well you don't get the free gift if you don't buy the cornflakes eh?
N/A

you've a FAT CHANCE!! of getting F9 to change their dodgy marking wording, why? because they believe its OK to word things in this way and until someone actually hauls them over the coals

I think the real problem is that most other ISP's are also doing this, and so plusnet have keep their products looking competative in the market place where everyone has misleading headlines on thier home pages'...... I think this is an issue that the regulator needs to come in and clamp down on as it's an indusry wide phenomenon now, and no single ISP will be brave enough to buck the trend and loose sales.

The thing I now find really annoying when trying to compare different ISPs' products is that all ISPs these days only advertise their cheapest price package on their front page.... now since I'm a heavy user, the cheapest price package on any ISP is not going to be suitable for me, and it's often very difficult to find where it outlines their higer priced products for high bandwidth users. In some cases you even have to start the signup process and put your personal details in before they give you a list of price options other than the cheapest option.....

They must be so scared that these prices will scare people off that they delay until the last possible moment to reveal the pricing.
jabns2
Grafter

Its like tiscalli has an advert saying for "unlimited broadband for £14.99/month call xxxxxxxxxxxxx" and then at the end they speed up what they are saying and it says "FUP applies". :roll: