cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

f9 has really got my back up

bod
Grafter

up until today I thought f9 was pretty good.
But!!
I had an email yesterday stating that 'Level 1 Broadband Plus usage management has been applied to your service during peak hours'!!

I didn't even know that there was a cap on the amount I could use!

F9 did not send me a warning email as per their supposed policy.

Next, I recieved an email today stating 'Level 2 Broadband Plus usage management has been applied to your service during peak hours'!! - so I went up a level overnight?

I thought I had the Premier service because I pay £23.99 p/m (£24.99 total because I have a domain name with f9)- but now I find out that I am only on the 2-4MB Broadband Plus.

Ok, so if I upgrade to the Premier 2MB it is only £21.99 p/m and I get more usage! So I am paying MORE atm for a service that gives me less usage - go figure - because I have never seen this so called 4MB speed anyway. So, I want to change, and I see that F9 wants to CHARGE ME £14.99 for the change over!

Evil

WHAT A [censored] JOKE!!!

Also, I have looked on my usage stats on this web site and it shows that today alone I have used 180MB and counting.....!! But I have not even downloaded anything today. I have surfed a bit, and sent some email. I contacted Customer Support around 4 times today and they have not answered my questions.

1. WHERE IS ALL THIS MYSTERIOUS USAGE COMING FROM? DON't FOB ME OFF SAYING ITS BACKGROUND STUFF.
2. WHY NO WARNING EMAIL BEFORE HASSLING ME WITH THE EMAILS I RECEIVED YESTERDAY AND TODAY STATING I AM ON BROADBAND PLUS USAGE MANAGEMENT?
3. WHY CHARGE ME £14.99 to switch services?

F9 you suck huge ones. I am serously considering moving ISP after today. Your support staff come across as half wits who are more concerned with clearing the inbox of queries by fobbing us off with patronising and unhelpful information rather than actually helping to solve the problem and show us the respect we deserve as long standing customers.

Moderator's note by ukfmonline: swear-word removed
35 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Have you ran an anti-virus/spyware recently? It could account for high usage as the virus may be connecting to the internet, updating itself, DDOS attacks etc..?

And yep, charging you £14.99 for a cheaper product which is better, is considered a downgrade, weird isnt it? O_o
JonathanW
Grafter

This is something that has been in place for a while, since early December, and we have recently emailed all residential customers to advise them of the management that is in place on Plus packages.

As for the management emails, it is possible that you were almost at level 3 management when the process was run and placed you on level 2 management, and then your small bit of usage between then and the following day was enough to push you onto level 3.
N/A

Up till the 6th of this Month there has been NO email sent by Force9 explaining the new p2p download restrictions.

This has all been done behind the customers back.

I for one am telling ALL my customers to move away from force9 ASAP

Getting my MAC code very shortly.
ukbrown
Grafter

As one of the early 1% who got banned for moaning in October, I cannot believe that F9 have not learnt their lesson. I fully sympathise with your plight. Even some of the moderators are now ex moderators becasue they got so fed up.

TOTAL LACK OF COMMUNICATION WITH USERS EXCEPT TO SEND A MAIL TO TEE THEM OFF BIGTIME

Or maybe the one percent of their user base who moan are the one percent they want to lose.

The plus side is that things do seem to have goten better. I do not think that I will ever be able to download 145GB in a month again cest la vie, (so I purchased a PVR instead)

Are other ISP's any better, they all face the same ecconomic restraints, unless they can heavily invest in LLU and build their own network. Something has to give to keep the ISP making a profit, they are not a charity.
N/A

there are a few that charge a bit more, but give you a higher usage limit

i'm currently finding out what my telecom provider rates are, and what type of service they offer. I've moved from BT for all calls and line rental, which is already saving me a minimum of £10pm.

If I move my broadband to my telecom provider then would see even more savings, just waiting to hear what they can offer me.

Yes, I've been with F9 for many years, and have only the gripe about their services every now and again, but if someone can offer me exactly what f9 provide for cheaper then i'll probably move, and I would get another free modem from them (even though don't need it) and no setup charge what-so-ever.

regards
mike
N/A

I'm in the same boat I got the level 1 email yesterday and quickly checked useage. I have used 50GB over the last 4 weeks (wel my family and I) but the peak time usage is apparently less that their 'limit' at 12GB.

A ticket posted last night is yet to be answered; I asked why the lavel 1 and for a MAC gode. I think it is also that the service levels are dropping too.
N/A

Usage

I got a level 2 on my service and nope i wasn`t over my limit and yes i complained and no they did not answer my question, but yes they sent me an email of their 2 most recent newsletters and a spiel about usage that takes a solicitor to understand. I give a thumbs down to customer communication and support
newsgroupmonkey
Dabbler

Re: Usage

I got a level 2 on my service and nope i wasn`t over my limit and yes i complained and no they did not answer my question, but yes they sent me an email of their 2 most recent newsletters and a spiel about usage that takes a solicitor to understand. I give a thumbs down to customer communication and support

I too have received the mumbo jumbo rubbish that F9 have sent out. The link they send you means nothing, I never received an email warning me (I was only just over 30gb at the time so it's not like I suddenly downloaded 10gb the next day)

According to the Sustainable Usage guide you sent me a link to, I receive a warning after 30gb Peak time usage. I can bring this down, however, I've never been warned before yet you have put me on a Level 2 without warning.

https://portal.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml#warning_email

How about this pile of stinking dung as a reply?

Please note you are discussing two separate policies here. The Traffic managment policy and the sustainable usage policy (respective links below):

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml?link=suptop5_general4

Please review the links and you will see how the two policies are administered alongside one another

Wonder what my next "contact us" was?

Yup. You've guessed it. I never had a problem paying for proper Internet Access. Only Force9 wouldn't provide it (well they did for a while but then they moved the goalposts to another pitch). First they try to bring in limits. Then when all hell broke loose, they brought it in by stealth.

So now I've gone with someone who can.

And it's not cheap.

But it's worth every penny.
N/A

Who have you gone with?
newsgroupmonkey
Dabbler

Zen.

£35 a month, but a proper service. Up until recently, for some bizarre reason, I was paying £29.99 for a 1mb service. So having a proper 2mb service (proper news servers, completely unlimited, 1gb web space etc.)

I'm not worried about web stuff anyway, I've just moved all my web bits away to Web-Mania.co.uk

They pretty much offered my everything that Force9 did, but they're reliable (not slow) have online Tech Support (chat thingy) and give plenty of bandwidth for most uses.

Oh and interestingly, I phoned up Tech Support at Zen(just to see how quickly they could answer) Considering it was peak time, I thought that 3 minutes was pretty fair.
N/A

I've been looking at them too. Seems to remind me of F9 when I first joined.
N/A

Hi,

Just to comment, one of the previous F9 forum moderators Ian left PlusNet and moved to ZEN he reported back that the service was very good though abit on the expensive side at £35 per month for a 2MB unlimited connection.

**I have thought about Zen myself?

Ivan
N/A

well i've just had the following reply from a company that i'm interested in and its cheaper than F9

my question was:
Is there an actual Fair Usage Policy even though you currently unlimited

their reply
Thank you for your email. We do not monitor the amount of traffic that you use. We feel that to state that a service is unlimited but then have a "Fair Usage Policy" is misleading and in some peoples views is a false representation of the service we would be offering. Our Capped service is capped and our Unlimited service is completely unlimited. As a company that is the way we feel it should be.

Looks like I could end up going for my mac key

regards
mike
N/A

woodviews, which ISP is that you contacted?