cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extra charges for peer-to-peer downloads

N/A

I think PlusNet should charge extra for peer-to-peer downloads.

I just had my first look at the "Broadband traffic by usage type" graph on the "Broadband Bandwidth Usage" page and at any time of day between 70% and 90% of usage is peer-to-peer downloading. How much of this is i-tunes? How much is illegal?

Peer-to-peer downloading is obviously a very popular thing to be doing. Therefore, given the rules of supply and demand, peer-to-peer downloading ought to cost more.

Alternatively, peer-to-peer networking should be SLOWER than other internet usage. After all, time is not critical if you are downloading music or movies but it is if you are checking the weather or your email i.e. if you are waiting for your email or the weather to appear you are WAITING but if you are downloading a video you are not just going to wait for half an hour, you are going to do something else (maybe even use your internet connection to read your email or check the weather).
29 REPLIES
N/A

So people who pay the same price for the same product, but choose to use it differently, should either pay more or have their speeds cut.

Who decides what someones broadband connection should be used for?

The provider or the person who is paying for it!

Surel it is the individuals choice how they use their connection.
N/A

Re: extra charges for peer-to-peer downloads

Alternatively, peer-to-peer networking should be SLOWER than other internet usage.

So are you saying that P2P should run at, for example, 512k on an 8Mbps line?
N/A

@optimally PN do control the traffic so that time sensitive traffic are not affect by P2P. On the same page as the Broadband Bandwidth usage you viewed you would have seen a packets drop graph, below is an explanation for the graph and more info can be found here so your usage is not affected by users who use P2P

What does this graph show?
This graph shows the number of "packets" dropped in each of the queues on our broadband network. The queues are used to prioritise traffic to ensure that time sensitive data is transmitted in priority to less time sensitive data.

Internet phone calls and gaming are in Titanium, web browsing and email are in Gold. Less time sensitive applications such as FTP are in Silver and applications mainly used for non-time sensitive downloads are in Bronze. A detailed list of applications in each queue can be found by reading How PlusNet guarantees quality broadband

This graph shows the only part of the network where traffic management applies, and we use this as our overall indicator of how the platform is performing.

We aim to deliver a service with zero packet drops in the Titanium and Gold queues. We would expect only a small amount of drops in the Silver queue (only at peak times). The bronze queue is designed to drop traffic at peak times; this is to preserve the quality of the overall service.

When looking at the graph it is important to take into account the overall number of packets passing across the network at peak time. The peak is around 400,000 packets per second, therefore if the graph peaks at 4,000 packets, this represents 1% of the overall traffic on the passing through the network at peak.

When the traffic management is working correctly, the will be zero drops in Titanium or Gold. If you are seeing reduced performance on your connection, and there are no packet drops in these queues, this could indicate either congestion on your local exchange or a problem on your line.

pgudge
Grafter

Wot a load of twoodle,
and at any time of day between 70% and 90% of usage is peer-to-peer downloading
Not everyone gets the internet to read emails and post silly theories on forums. Its clear that PN has 70% - 90% users that like to use peer-to-peer applications. Morning to sync iTunes, afternoon to remote home and check various, and evenings to download various.
N/A

since when did iTunes use peer-to-peer? Cheesy
N/A

I think that the OP is basically assuming that everybody uses P2P for illegal downloads and therfore should be charged more.

This is a very niave perception. As somebody else previously stated, why should somebody be charged more for using their connection differently?

Should people who stream radio or video over the web be charged a different rate as well.

If you can't check the weather on line as quickly as you want, just look out of your window. Alternatively, check the TV.

What emails are YOU receiving that take so long to download? Perhaps you should be charged extra for taking up more server space!
salts
Grafter

Wot a load of twoodle,
and at any time of day between 70% and 90% of usage is peer-to-peer downloading
Not everyone gets the internet to read emails and post silly theories on forums. Its clear that PN has 70% - 90% users that like to use peer-to-peer applications.

"I think your logic is flawed Captain"

which leads nicely into

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

Excuse the trecky quotes!

Apart from the flawed statistical analysis I agree with you, one of the beauties of peer-to-peer is that it soaks up all the left over bandwidth, thats the whole point. As Plusnet network gets busy, less p2p traffic is sourced/sinked by plusnet users, and the load shifts to other parts of the internet that aren't overloaded.
pgudge
Grafter

since when did iTunes use peer-to-peer? Cheesy
Sorry, I just said iTunes as optimally did. I think they should charge more per "Moan" and "Ticket" if someone is moaning about the net then they are charged more, and the more you ring support asking why the internet is down, and demanding it back should be charged. Smiley
cfcws
Grafter

Peer to peer

I agree peer to peer should be on a separate product.

How cheap would BB+ be or how big would my limit be without it?

I know this is unpopular on these forums as they seem to be dominated by people who want to download the world for as cheap as possible.

I don't care about that as long as I am not subsidising it.

I would like to see a cheaper BB+ product without peer to peer so that people can opt in when they need it.
Community Veteran

The problem then would be - what about those people who only use P2P occasionally?

I use probably about 2-3GB per month on my connection, but I do on occasion want to use P2P for the odd file, perhaps some sort of HD demo to try on my new telly.

Am I then going to have to pay for the full P2P product (if this were implemented) just for my odd P2P file once in a blue moon?

Hows about switching this argument on its head for a moment and asking why those of us on BB+ only using 3gb or less per month are paying only £7 per month less than someone downloading ten times that ammount?
N/A

:lol:

Looking to make friends are you not?
I don't receive that many emails, so i think you should have to be charged extra for downloading more emails than me! :?
N/A

Sky By Broadband uses P2P
World of Warcraft patche uses P2P
There are a lot of legitimate uses for P2P.

E-mail doesn not need much bandwidth
Looking for the weather doesn't need much bandwidth

You could easily use a 512 connection to quickly get your mail whilst checking the weather and probably streaming the radio without noticing muchin terms of slowness. Damn, I used to use my 56k modem to play some games online and that was sufficient!!!!!

The only reason you need faster and faster speeds is so that you can download large files. What is the easiest method of downloading these large files?? P2P!!!

If you are only surfing the web and readng email, you don't need high speeds or much bandwidth usage, so why not change your package to something more suitable.
kosh2
Grafter

I think the OP may be a company spy trying to sound us out. Evil

On the flip side I would not be surprsied if this will be a type of account in the future.

"We shape you traffic so p2p is unusable unless you pay us £XXX"

I recall starting a thread re the future of streaming and the impact on usage etc some time ago. A PN rep said that in the future they may have to look at different pricing strategies to allow for streaming etc.
N/A

sorry to burst your bubble here m8, but we ACTUALLY did pay extra when i signed up, so in theory i still iam , being as the price hasnt changed in nearly 5 years.

and as somebody has alrady said, do i tell you what to download or what sites to go on, sorry m8, but last time i looked we lived in the uk and were free to do what we like.

not a go at you personally m8, but a silly idea really.

personally i think we get the crap end of the deal anyway as is, iam all for NO capping at all, thats what i signed up for and thats what i still should get.

and i still will be going to sky asap they get going, unless plus net have a radical change of the way they work.