cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extra capacity & still shocking P2P speeds !!!

bobbygeorge
Grafter

I had about 2 days of decent speeds on P2P off peak since the extra capacity went live and reluctantly thought things had at last changed for the better.

So what has happened since ..

for the last week my speeds along with many others on these forums have decreased again to the normal <5 KB/s off peak pre-upgrade on a 300 seeded torrent, with others recieving the same torrent at over 1 MB/s (it's only 120 Meg, I have a completion time of 2 days, pathetic)

I'm only a light P2P user, but when I do use it I do so off peak so I WILL & SHOULD expect a decent speed on my 8 Meg connection for the duration (50 - 100 KB/s would be acceptable), esp when it's only aroung 100 Meg in size.

Can we assume this is as good as P2P will ever be on plusnet, the extra capacity has basically achieved nothing as far as this and Usenet protocols are concerned.

I can't believe things are STILL this bad !!!!!!!
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Just set two torrents going on my home connection to see what speeds I'm getting, first a fairly poor torrent, 9 seeds 3 peers is doing about 20KB/s the second a bit better with 19 seeds 2 peers is doing about 65KB/s which isn't too bad.

The thing with torrent speeds is that a lot of the speeds are luck of the draw some people will get really fast downloads because they connect to a lot of other people or they connect to the ones with the fast uploads.

The best things to do are ensure that you have the ports forwarded on your router and firewall that you increase the number of peers you connect to, 1000 per torrent and 1500 globally works for me. You probably also want to increase your RWIN setting

www.dslreports.com/tweaks will show you what the MTU and RWIN currently are, for an 8Mbps connection I'd probably recommend an RWIN for around 144400 with MTU of 1458.
Phil_Collins
Grafter

I don't use p2p very often, but yesterday (Saturday) I started to download a torrent at mid-day 105MBs with 33 seeds and 12 leechers and it was finished before 1pm, good enough speeds for me, I use the Utorrent client, I am just wondering if the variations in down speed are perhaps due in part to geographical issues such as overloaded local exchanges as well as the traffic shaping policies as PN.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I think you make a good point, I spoke about it a while ago but I think there's a snowball effect on things like P2P any number of which can affect each customer differently.

The first thing is your sync speed, of course the lower the sync the lower the maximum speed, then there's the BRAS profile, if thats set wrong or the line's unstable then it can be added a factor. Then exchange contention, will affect everyone to a lesser or greater extent, I rarely see less than 6Mbps on a speed test but it's still a reduction from the max I see of 6.9Mbps plus it's only a snapshot of performance and doesn't mean that sustained downloads would be the same because of the natural bursty nature of most people's usage.

Then from there you have client configuration, the default configuration of uTorrent for example isn't always the optimum setup. A bit of tweaking can work wonders. Same with the operating system. A bit of tweaking of the RWIN and MTU can make huge changes in speed. And of course the traffic management will mean that P2P traffic is at a lower priority on the network.

So for me, I think I've got my setup about right and there's little contention at the exchange and I'm getting a combined speed of about 85KB/s at peak on two torrents which I'm more than happy with as I do most downloading overnight but if one or more of the other things aren't optimal then I can see why it would be slower.

The choice of torrent always helps too, torrents from most public trackers are generally on the ropier side of average.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

thats all understood Dave,

sync at 8128/448, My BRAS profile is fine, line profile 7200, stable rate 8000, my speed tests generally come in at above 5500 and exchange is all green with very few disconnects.

ports are all forwarded as they always have been, my virtual server settings have not changed since I used to get blistering speeds at the beginning of last year.

this is not a local issue or a torrent issue, its is obvious it is down to traffic shaping, or maybe my account is being managed without my knowledge.

believe me Dave I would be a happy bunny if I could achieve half the P2P speeds you are recieving, but it simply aint gonna happen.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Can you run this test for me and see what you get please?

www.dslreports.com/tweaks

I'm interested to see how it compares to the result from my test. Just because something hasn't changed doesn't mean that it's still fine now or was at the best setting.

From a traffic management point of view there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to see the same performance as I was, disconnecting and reconnecting may help if the gateway you are on is busier than the one I'm connected to but I really do think I can get a speed improvement for you with a bit of tweaking.
craiglay
Grafter

Dont forget that XP Service Pack 2 introduced new connection limits for security and can severely limit P2P apps. If it does hit the limit, and event is generated in the event viewer.

My Bittorrent client (Azureus) has its own connection limits that I can set the same or slightly lower as XP as XP will drop new connections if exceeded. Also, I set the upload speed about 75% of my upload to take account of ACK packets and that I want to be able to use the internet too. 30KB/s in my case. I use standard ports. I havent messed with MTU's at all. I sync at 8128/448 and can achieve ~300KB/s during the day (paused at peak though).

Search the net for the XP connection hack to modify the XP limit which may improve performance. (I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong though)

Craig