cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchangeChecker

lank111
Grafter

exchangeChecker

Why has plusnet removed the exchange checker @ http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/exchangeChecker

This was a great resourse! please put it back!

regards
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

exchangeChecker

I assume its because plusnet dont officially have an exchange checker of that kind, would be cool if they adopted it, or the usergroup adopted it for their exchange checker
N/A

exchangeChecker

lank111,

There is a link in my sig for the plusnet exchange checker. I assume that this will be the only exchange checker plusnet will plan on having updated.
lank111
Grafter

exchangeChecker

the metronet one was ACE!
it went into detail about any issue and would tell you where it was e.g reding RAS or a node at brum...

this was the only thing reasuring me that plusnet wasn't messed up, every problem i had, this checker could confirm it! so i know my setup is ok!

plz plz plz plusnet, bring it back!!!!!
Searcg google for 'exchangeChecker'
and there is a huge list of sites, linking to the metronet site!

must of been a good tool, for customers from every isp using it!
N/A

exchangeChecker

lank111,

It hasnt been updated in an absolute age. I also admit I prefer it over the one hosted on the usergroups one as it is easier to read, info is easier to find and you can see problems on your exchange for the past 2 or so months with the blink of an eye compared to the one on usergroups.

But I very much doubt it will ever resurface again. I think its what you call stubborn or something along those lines anyway.

Regards,
JonathanW
Grafter

exchangeChecker

The exchange checker provided by Metronet, did the same basic job as the one available on the usertools site. As this isn't something that we update ourself, and is a largely manual process when it is updated by the person who maintains it.

That being said, I'm fairly sure that the person responsbile for the Usertools checker is going to try and get hold of the code used for the Metronet one and do a bit of integration. So whilst the Metronet one won't be coming back, its possible that some of the features will be added to the Usertools one.
lank111
Grafter

exchangeChecker

Thanks jon,

Well fingers crossed!
If the metronet checker was used again, it would be a great tool!
As the checker at the moment, is:- Messy, not very informative

The best part about the metronet check is the way you can trace problems back to a node or a RAS,

the usergroup checker now - says my exchange hasn't had a issue with it! when i know for a fact there a alot of RAS problems in Dec/Jan and the VP is showin amber but the fix was few days ago........it needs updating!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

exchangeChecker

That being said, I'm fairly sure that the person responsbile for the Usertools checker is going to try and get hold of the code used for the Metronet one and do a bit of integration. So whilst the Metronet one won't be coming back, its possible that some of the features will be added to the Usertools one.

If the Metronet one was so good and was used by people from other ISP's surely the most sensible thing to do would be to re-instate the Metronet one until the Plusnet one has been upgraded to be as good. Then redirect from the address of the Metronet one to the Plusnet one.

Surely Plusnet must think it would be a good thing if users from other ISP's were using a tool with Plusnet plastered all over it!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lank111
Grafter

exchangeChecker

i agree,
it show's plusnet would have a public resources to find adsl issues all over the BT network!

Something customers WANT!

also on the usergroup checker, there was a DSLAM bit, with a list of dslams in the exhcange and a box around the one that you are one,

This has been wiped for the DSLMAX bit, any chance on getting that back too?
JonathanW
Grafter

exchangeChecker

The exchange checker itself isn't something that we offer, its something that is maintained by the usergroup.

As for the data on there, it is due for another update, but it would appear that there was something wrong with the data file from BT, which is why the update is still waiting to happen.

With regards to the DSLAM information, the report that was used to generate this has been removed from the BT database, so it is no longer possible to generate the data, as people do get moved from one DSLAM to another. The information was left in place until the recent changes, though by that point it was several months out of date.

As for reinstating the Metronet one, this would be possible but it is quite out of date, with the information that it contained, so it would take a lot of work to update it, and given the nature of the Metronet integration with our platform, it is possible that the person who created the exchange checker is no longer part of the company and so someone else would have to spend time working with the exchange checker in order to figure out how the backend works. That said, the same data issues would occur, with the latest update from BT not being useable.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

exchangeChecker

The exchange checker itself isn't something that we offer, its something that is maintained by the usergroup.

:?:

I thought that this was maintained by the Usertools team - although most (all?) of the members of that team are also members of the Usergroup. Wasn't Phil (now a CSC agent) largely responsible for the Exchange Checker?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JonathanW
Grafter

exchangeChecker

I believe that the majority of the Usertools team are part of the Usergroup, though I have a habit of using the two as interchangable terms to refer to the same group of people.

But yes, Phil is the person who does most of the work on the Exchange Checker, when it comes to the Usertools one.
lank111
Grafter

exchangeChecker

why don't u try and get help from the 100's of website designers/ programmers that use plusnet!

i wouldn't mind helpin out, others might 2!
If you start letting customers help build plusnet into a company that customers know and love! i know if i was involed, i'd b more keen on plusnet affairs
N/A

exchangeChecker

Hi there,

The UserTools exchange checker was designed and launched by customers long before the Metronet checker was heard of. The Exchange Checker is widely known and respected for its accuracy, features, reliability and frequency of updates. It is referred to frequently on Adsl Guide and is and has been used by customers from all ISP's over the years.

Like any tool, it is constantly reviewed and maintained by Colin and Phil with assistance from others in the UserGroup.

The usergroup would be happy to hear ideas and suggestions from fellow customers and would wecome your thoughts in our public forums here

Look forward to seeing you there. Smiley