cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange congestion causing dropouts and low speed?

N/A

http://www.nildram.net/support/tools/congestion_checker/
I found this useful link which seems to identify if one is in an area with telephone exchange problems. I don't know how correct it is but it showed the Bournemouth exchange as a red traffic light. i.e congested. It also gave a date for when the exchange is being upgraded. I get regular dropouts and low speeds, although recently I have noticed some improvement. The difficulty many customers face is identifying the cause of problems. Plusnet is not very helpful in this matter because they suggest laborious checks to be made when perhaps it could just be an exchange problem. Plusnet don't appear to be able to give customers the support that they would like and I think this will scare off customers who may otherwise get a good service. Plusnet has an excellent website and this forum at least is helpful even if customer support are not. At the moment I am cautious about jumping out of the frying pan but I can only splutter and sizzle for so long....[color=darkblue][/color]
8 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

Community Veteran

At present about 50% of exchanges are showing as red, due to contention problems, this will normally manifest itself as slow speeds during peak times.

Drop out and low Sync speed, are normally caused by your line itself. The PlusNet test procedures may be a laborious, but are comprehensive and worth following if you want to sort out your problems.

Chilly
N/A

Personally I have never managed to see my (Ross=on-Wye)exchange status. It is ALWAYS like this: -

Exchange Status Checker
No matches
The input you supplied does not match a valid exchange name, phone number or postcode on record. This does not however mean, it is not on record.

This screen can appear between master updates of the databases. These happen about once every two months. It can also appear if your exchange is not enabled or you have given incorrect information. For your information, you submitted "01989".

Back to exchange search
bewick
Grafter

At present about 50% of exchanges are showing as red, due to contention problems, this will normally manifest itself as slow speeds during peak times.

Drop out and low Sync speed, are normally caused by your line itself. The PlusNet test procedures may be a laborious, but are comprehensive and worth following if you want to sort out your problems.

Chilly

Are you quite sure Chilly. My sync speed is fine but I'm getting 129kbps!
Did the Plusnet full fault check - which is what I think you meant - and it told me it was due to congestion and my exchange was Red. I checked it by a different route and it was GREEN and always IS green except during maintenance. And my speed was still 129kbps just after midnight.
This problem is rather more fundamental than congestion. I suspect bugs in the ellecoya software not revealed during UAT.
The maintenamce this week MIGHT resolve all - and maybe not if it is a software problem. So how long will that then take I wonder. Sorry to be so negative and sceptical but reading these forums (at least can still do that) is depressing me.
shellsong
Grafter

N/A

Thanks ShellSong. I wonder why it would not respond to my telephone number?
Community Veteran

My sync speed is fine but I'm getting 129kbps!

Ah, sorry I read your OP as slow sync speed and dropouts.

I suspect bugs in the ellecoya software not revealed during UAT.
The maintenamce this week MIGHT resolve all - and maybe not if it is a software problem. So how long will that then take I wonder.

I think I would concur.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks ShellSong. I wonder why it would not respond to my telephone number?

Did you put in your full telephone number or just the exchange code? The error message you copy/pasted indicates the latter which will fail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)