cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email problem (can't send)

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

email seems to arive OK (although possibly not as much as usual, but difficult to say) but when I reply or send new email I get "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'XXXXXXXXX@aol.com'. Subject 'Re: (no subject)', Account: 'plusnet2', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relay not permitted', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79" seems to same on the next one I tried to a different address too.
Any thoughts?
11 REPLIES
decomplexity
Rising Star

Are you by amy chance connecting to PlusNet via a non-PN broadband connection or by dialling another ISP and then sending email via relay.plus.net?
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

That particular error message usually happens if you are trying to send via our mail servers when connected to another ISP. You can only send via our mail servers when you are connected to us.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

No I'm here and only ever here Cheesy PlusNet is my only ISP (for my sins :shock: )

Just added another - to another plusNetter this time but still no go

:?: :?:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Are you connecting on the RIN network? If so have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Are you connecting on the RIN network? If so have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting?

Shockedops: Shockedops: RIN network Shockedops: Shockedops:

I have no idea, but I just changed my settings from the test dsl2 back to the normal sign up and they went (took ages but they eventually sent.
I have no idea if that was because of the change, or because I signed off and back on though??

What's RIN network and how would I know?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The RIN network is the test network with the @plusdsl2.net login. When you connect on that network you're assigned a BT IP address so I'm wondering if that's one that we haven't got set up.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I have been on that for a while now though and not had any problems until tonight... unless somebody at PlusNet has changed something?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It's odd, and the only logical thing I can think is that when you last connected you were assigned an IP address that we don't have in the databases. Every time you disconnect and reconnect on RIN you'll get a different IP address so that would make sense if one range was missing.
N/A

Since yesterday I've also been unable to send email via SMTP

Same issue, worked fine a few days ago but can no longer send emails via relay.plus.net with a direct connection to plusnet via my Outlook. Already raised a question on this. Receiving emails OK though.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

How about what worked for me then? Either log off and back on or switch back from the trial '2' DSL setting?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Do you get an error message at all? As Stewart suggests have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting and reboot all your equipment?