Did you mean: 

email delays

N/A

email delays

Are there Email problems as mine seem to have a long delay
11 REPLIES
N/A

email delays

Do you mean incoming or outgoing? I just sent one to myself and it arrived in about 4 minutes.
jberry
Grafter

email delays

Hi there,

As discussed previously, due to the ongoing work with upgrading our storage cluster (that stores all of your mail and webspace) there is a slight delay of up to 5 minutes on POP3 mail. This will be resolved by around the end of the month when the work is completed.

If you are experiencing longer delays than that please raise the issue through link:Contact Us with the full headers and we will investigate further for you.

Regards,
stonechat
Grafter

Email delays

HI

I too am getting email delays.
These are occasionally longer than mentioned, but accepatable

Bob
N/A

Email delays

Is there going to be a service announcement or similar when this work is completed? I've had to move my mail off the PlusNet servers for the time being as the delay is unacceptable for the project I've been working on, but I'd like to move it back on as soon as possible.
N/A

email delays

Some of my incoming emails were delayed by up to 7 hours on Tuesday and up to 5 hours yesterday. I raised a ticket about the Tuesday delays, as no-one else had reported any problems and there was nothing on the Service Status page about email problems. I was told that such delays are most commonly caused by Spam (no specific reason was given for the Tuesday delays). However, delays of many hours are of no use whatsoever to me and I don't regard it as being an acceptable level of service - I need my email to arrive much sooner than that.

Are email delays going to become commonplace with Plusnet, or are steps being taken to permanently improve matters? We've been told before that improvements are being made to the email service, but they never seem to have any lasting effect. Emails should arrive in minutes, and a few minutes at that, not in hours.
N/A

email delays

Is e-mail isn't, and has never been a gurenteed delivery service.

It is automated by nature, with 0% human interaction.

As such, you should never trust e-mail for any sort of delivery.

The only ever way you would get this level of service if you own, run and maintain a service end to end. This even means responsibility for the client.

That beind said. There are allready posts on the matter on the forum. There are currently delays of a minimum of 4 mins in e-mail delivery.

This is due to the ongoing work, and the delays should be removed at the end of auguest. However, this still doesn't guanentee delivery.

Post the header of the e-mails in question, and we would be able to point out where in the chain of delivery the message was stuck.
N/A

email delays

Here's the header from one of yesterday's emails which was posted at 15.55 and arrived at 18.25:

Delivered-To: mo_plusn-moonridge-chrisw@moonridge.plus.com
Received: (qmail 24226 invoked from network); 27 Aug 2003 17:20:00 -0000
Received: from murphys.services.quay.plus.net (212.159.14.225)
by netmail00.services.quay.plus.net with SMTP; 27 Aug 2003 17:20:00 -0000
Received: (qmail 24791 invoked from network); 27 Aug 2003 17:19:44 -0000
Received: from mx.last.plus.net (212.159.3.230)
by murphys.services.quay.plus.net with SMTP; 27 Aug 2003 17:19:44 -0000
X-SQ: A
Received: (qmail 10787 invoked from network); 27 Aug 2003 14:54:41 -0000
Received: from expresso.netweaver.net (217.151.99.17)
by mx.last.plus.net with SMTP; 27 Aug 2003 14:54:41 -0000
Received: (qmail 29527 invoked by alias); 27 Aug 2003 14:51:28 -0000
Delivered-To: moonridge-co-uk-chrisw@moonridge.co.uk
Received: (qmail 29523 invoked from network); 27 Aug 2003 14:51:28 -0000
Received: from heisenberg.zen.co.uk (212.23.8.70)
by 0 with SMTP; 27 Aug 2003 14:51:28 -0000
Received: from dsl-212-23-31-47.zen.co.uk ([212.23.31.47] helo=dilbert)
by heisenberg.zen.co.uk with smtp (Exim 4.20)
id 19s1gr-0000cb-Tu; Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:54:29 +0000

The time discrepanices are down to the individual system clocks of course. As is usual whenever I experience email delays, the delay occurs after the email is within the Plusnet framework (in this case between mx.last.plus.net and murphys.services.quay.plus.net ). Obviously I accept that what happens outside Plusnet is entirely beyond their control, but whenever I've had problems with delays, looking at the headers shows that they've happened after the email has arrived at a Plusnet server. It follows, therefore, that they should be able to take steps to improve performance.
N/A

email delays

The issues you have discribed here show that issues started when pumpiing the mail into the +Net platform from Zen

Received: from mx.last.plus.net (212.159.3.230)
by murphys.services.quay.plus.net with SMTP; 27 Aug 2003 17:19:44 -0000
Received: (qmail 10787 invoked from network); 27 Aug 2003 14:54:41 -0000
Received: from expresso.netweaver.net (217.151.99.17)
by mx.last.plus.net with SMTP; 27 Aug 2003 14:54:41 -0000

This does show genuine issues within the +Net network, though none serious (see I am fair).

The mail failed to deliver to the main mailservers, and ened up on the least priority mail server.

It was at this point that is took a long time to feed the mail into the internal delivery mailcore.

As I am not an expert on how the +Net mail core functions, I can't give definate answers, however, based on what I do know, I would likely want that looked at.

However, this could also be done to this ongoing work as noted.
jberry
Grafter

email delays

Hi there,

Once the work on our storage cluster has been completed we will definately make an announcement to let you know, and I am pretty sure that there will be further work necessary to swap over from the old cluster to the new one.

The e-mail headers below show the delay because for some reason the e-mail was queued onto MX.last (the backup MX server) rather than the primary mailcore. If this is happening with all of your mail then there is definately a problem but if it just a one off then I am afraid that this is nature of e-mail - there is no way we can guarentee speedy delivery for 100% of your mail (the technology just doesn't allow it).

Regards,
N/A

email delays

It doesn't happen with every email, but did happen with something like between 10-20 on both Tuesday and Wednesday. At present, it does seem to be more than the odd one here and there that's delayed. It's too soon to know how today's shaping up.

Hopefully the work that you're doing will improve matters.
N/A

email delays

There is one thought that may relate to why this happened on tuesday and wednesday.

I would have thought this would be given as the excuse by +Net.

Tuesday would have seen insane volumes of e-mail thanks to the bank-holiday.