Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eMail server - no response, time out

lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

I have checked your mail account and your default mailbox has 19 emails in it and the mailbox that everything gets redirected to has no emails in, so have you managed to download from this?

Can you telnet to the mailserver (I'ld use mail.force9.net rather than your current settings) on port 110?

Are you using a router? Is this blocking port 110?

regards

Luke
9 REPLIES
N/A

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: '******', Server: 'mail.f9.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

There has been no response from the mail server since 15:00 today...
Any ideas?

My connection is DSL, at home on Win98
Carried out 2 shutdowns restart, then tried on my laptop (WinXPpro), same response
N/A

This problem didn't just affect the retrieval of my mail.f9.net, but all the eMail I retrieve (5 servers in total)

The problem resolved itself at around 17:30 and was back to normal
N/A

Weird Behaviour

Hi mjkerr,

I've had similar kinds of experience's with email and found that it might well be down to spam & virus activity. As I wasnt able to connect to the mail server but was still able to log into the portal and viewed my mail from there. Once I deleted the offending spam & viruses from my mailbox manually my mail collection returned to normal. Just thought you might be interested in this!.

Ivan
N/A

I don't see how having "excessive eMail" in my force 9 mail account would result in me not being able to retrieve eMail from a completely different server

Just to complicate things, I no longer use the "default" mailbox provided by force 9 due to the "excessive spam and viruses", instead everything is filtered by force 9 and then forwarded (something I finally figured out how to setup just 6 weeks ago!)

There were only 12 eMails to retrieve... hardly excessive!
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

I don't think this is related to your email with us, if its the same for different servers. Have you any security running? Try disabling, even uninstalling it to test. As I asked earlier, are you able to telnet to a mailserver on port 110?

regards

Luke
N/A

I've never been able to use TelNet on my force9 connection
To do so I have to disconnect and use another ISP
I reported this months ago, and also a few years ago before upgrading to DSL

This is NOT a problem with my PC, it is a problem that is affecting connections with force 9 only

To retrieve my eMail (from the other server) I disconnected from force 9 and connected to the dialup connection
Sadly due to authentication I can only retrieve their eMails, so again the problem was with my force 9 connection...

Stop trying to shift the buck...
I had already exhausted every avenue and made sure it was definitely an issue with my force 9 connection
My first check is to disconnect from force 9 and try my commercial connection
If I am still unable to collect eMail / browse, then I know it is my PC, but this was NOT the case
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What sort of ADSL hardware are you using? If the problem occurs on more than one PC and more than one mail account then the fault is likely to be caused by the ADSL hardware, either a firewall or NAT settings.
N/A

For my PC : on dialup I have a conexant v1.92 and on DSL the Force 9 supplied A360
On my laptop there is SONY onboard card and for DSL I use the Force 9 supplied A360

Putty (TelNet) does not work on any of the 4 configurations

I do know how to use Putty, as I use this on another laptop I have access to (as part of my commercial website services which are kept quite separate from my "personal" force 9 connection at home)
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

If you are unable to telnet to the mail server (and make sure you are telnetting on port 110) when connected then this is one of two things, a problem with your IP address or a problem at your end. There is no way that this can be a BT fault and if it was a problem with the mail servers that it would affect lots of people.

We can test the IP address from here but to do so you will need to be disconnected. If you raise a ticket explaining the problem and give us times when you will be offline (any time really since we are 24 hours) then we will test this for you.

Regards,