cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail problems, anyone

N/A

e-mail problems, anyone

Suddenly, about an hour ago, my e-mail started doing weird things. I've been trying to send e-mails, but am getting an error message saying that it couldn't connect to the SMTP server. It isn't a problem at my end, as far as I am aware - as I had no problems previously, and eventually, if I keep trying, it will go through, but it takes maybe 15-30 minutes of error messages. I saw a suggestion it could be firewall related earlier, but that's not it. I've had a look on the status page, but nothing is recorded there. :?:
4 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

e-mail problems, anyone

There's nothing showing up as wrong with the servers, internally, so it is possibly just a local issue.

Have you updated your antivirus software recently? As its possibly that causing the problem.
N/A

e-mail problems, anyone

Hmmm. Don't think it's the virus checker - I tried to send with it switched off and still had the same problem. Its still occurring as well. Saying that, I have also had a few glitches browsing today - nothing major, but a few times I've had error messages saying servers couldn't be found, and had to retry to get through - could that be an inidication of some problem on the BT line?

Edit: I've just checked the plusnet broadband checker, and it doesn't show any faults ...?
N/A

e-mail problems, anyone

Could you post the error message?

What SMTP server are you using?

Some Antivirus programs change the mail server to something else to allow them to scan mail as its leaving your system. Might want to check that its still "relay.plus.net"
N/A

e-mail problems, anyone

Well, for the moment, it seems to have sorted itself. The SMTP server was correct and, as I mentioned before, I did try without the antivirus as well, with no change, but after a few hours of only sporadic e-mail access (receiving as well) it seems to be okay now. I'm assuming it was either a plusnet or BT problem. :?