Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail - how big is a group?

N/A

e-mail - how big is a group?

From the acceptable use policy:

"You may not use your e-mail to post unsolicited messages to groups of people"

Fair enough, but what constitutes a group? I needed to send the same message to a list of 50 people, which was not accepted by the server. Breaking this down into groups of 10 appears to have worked.

I havn't experimented to see if there is a hard cut-off .... anybody know if there is an 'official' upper limit?

Malcolm
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: e-mail - how big is a group?

> I havn't experimented to see if there is a hard cut-off .... anybody know if there is an 'official' upper limit?
Hi Malcolm,
To prevent spam, we employ a technique known as 'tar-pitting'. If you send a mail with more than 20 recipients, the server will delay the sending incrementally for each additional user over the limit of 20.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

This is very inconvenient if you have a ligitimate reason for sending to more than 20 people! Like the original poster of this message, I am trying to send a message to approx 50 people. Can you tell me what 'delays' the server employs? If I leave Outlook unattended, will it eventually send the email or do I have to split it up and send it to only 20 people at a time?
N/A

It will eventually go, but if you want it to go quicker you will have to split it up.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> > I havn't experimented to see if there is a hard cut-off .... anybody know if there is an 'official' upper limit?
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> To prevent spam, we employ a technique known as 'tar-pitting'. If you send a mail with more than 20 recipients, the server will delay the sending incrementally for each additional user over the limit of 20.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
Thanks for the response - and this appears to be a good balance between being a practical limit and open sky!

Just have to remember to keep the e-mail groups to less than 20 now!
N/A

> Thanks for the response - and this appears to be a good balance between being a practical limit and open sky!

Good Evening,

For a little further info on this see the below link

http://www.palomine.net/qmail/tarpit.html

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

I had always thought NetAnnounce, or whatever it was called before the name change worked around this. Therefore by setting up a mailing list 'server side' so to speak a multiple recipient email could be sent.
N/A

> I had always thought NetAnnounce, or whatever it was called before the name change worked around this. Therefore by setting up a mailing list 'server side' so to speak a multiple recipient email could be sent.

I use Netannounce to send mail to over 200 email addresses daily, it is so easy to use. I would recommend this service as it saves time breaking down into small groups to send.
Once set up, which took a bit of time, as mine now is, just copy and paste your email into compose message and send. Done in no time and it sends a copy to your own email plus keeps a growing history of all mail posted.
Great service - try it!
--
woodhome.plus.com
chapel.plus.com
N/A

The problem with Netannounce is that you have to type in all your email address again! When you have them in your own address book -

I would suggest using an different mail server! and not one linked to plusnet!

Jeremy Bray