cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-commerce

N/A

e-commerce

E-commerce is a tool that many small enterprises would like to embark upon but meet with many problems like bank and merchant card greed plus software robbers that have you over a barrel once you have paid dearly for their software that goes out of date and they fail to contine to support.

Massive costs are seen by Actinic and ShopFactory, the latter that will not even link to the UK 'NOCHEX' card service which is cheaper and friendlier to use than PayPal.

Is ther a way that PlusNet could link with the Opens Source and make files plus instalation/management of sites hosted on PlusNet an easy to do and maintain excercise? That in my opinion would do much to put the 'Plus' into PlusNet for small enterprises.

I have posted on the board about:
www.oscommerce.com and some kind customers have posted some help but they are obviously much more knowlegable than I am and the task of installing it on the server is still beyond me.

As someone that has already been stung by the Australian ShopFactory and wasted money some years earlier on Actinic I would like to support the open source project and would like to point others to PlusNet as an easy way to enter this field.

I know that the performance of the servers is a priority but the skills of the staff would probably find this task a simple one that would benefit customers and the firm alike.

Kevin Elks

[Moderator's Note by csogilvie: BBCode removed from subject, as it does not operate there]
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

e-commerce

Good idea, on the new CCGI server things can be a pain to get going sometimes and I know it has a particular dislike for OS commerce, if plusnet could offer a service to install scripts at the touch of a button, already configured and ready to go I'm sure many people such as yourself would use it.
LiamM
Grafter

e-commerce

I'm currently looking into this for my own hosting company. It wouldn't be hard for Plusnet to implement, but it would be a pain in the bum with the reliability of the CCGI server if it ever went down to have hundreds of businesses selling online all ringing up to complain etc...

I'm using oscommerce, it's working pretty well...

www.greengardenshop.co.uk
Community Veteran

e-commerce

Does any one have experience of Zen which is a fork of Os-commerce ?

Chilly
LiamM
Grafter

e-commerce

Sorry? Link?
Community Veteran

e-commerce

Link to Zen; http://www.zen-cart.com/modules/frontpage/

I been looking at putting an e-commerce site on my server for www.treehicks.co.uk
But I am undecided on Os-commerce or Zen.

Chilly
N/A

ZEN

Now that looks just like another version of os-commerce? Again it requires setting up on the server and all sorts of this, that, if and ....... .

I started out with DOS then Stuff on DOS and Windows 3.1 and then.....

each turn in the mad race as a computer you think will be OK for the next 5 years becomes obsolete and a pain to keep going within 3 years. I have a graveyard of computers, printers, POS terminals and software that must over a period of time cost more than my house AND STILL I AM CONFUSED!

I do not understand why the OS and ZEN were not designed a s a PC software solution that you work on offline and then download to the server, ANY server and it works.

Why have they made it so complicated for those of us that simply want to get on with the jobHuhHuh?

Shout, scream, rip hair out, bang head on wall. It's all against us as the Gods play their cruel games.

Kevin Elks.
LiamM
Grafter

e-commerce

That does look like a heavily modded version of oscommerce. I'm finding OSCommerce very easy to work with. I downloaded the UK version from the contributions section of the site.