cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speeds 25% of normal?

N/A

Is there a problem with downloading? We are getting approximately 25% of our normal speed and speed tests show 561kb for our 1mb connection. I can't see anything in the service status that makes any sense to me so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES
PirateFrog
Grafter

Hi,

I've perceived a slow down over the last few days so I've just followed some advice I found in another post and changed my DNS entries from 212.159.13.49 & 50 to 212.159.6.9 & 10. I now seem to be getting a much better response/faster download speed.

Yours,

Steve
N/A

Thanks Steve, but I didn't think DNS would make any difference to download speeds, only browsing?
N/A

I've noticed something very similiar, connection speed tests show 640-680 kb on my 1mb line. Previously this was up around 900kb, is there any work going on.

Will try the DNS suggestion and see if that helps
N/A

I had the same problems and decided to disconnect from the net then reconnect after a couple of minutes and my connection seems normal now hope this helps.
N/A

well turns out my dns settings were already at those suggested, but on the exchange checker there are some problems in my area. Given the number of other threads on a similar problem, i'll observe the problem over the next few days.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

what are & how do i change my dns settings?, my 1mb connection speed has dropped to about 384 Cry
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

That is not going to be a DNS issue. If you can try using the BT speedtester, do you get similar speeds?

try the speedtester then, please raise a fault with us.
N/A

I'm losing Speed as well :?

Im also getting a reduced download speed and my DNS settings are already 212.159.6.9 & 10. (only losing about 15-25kbs though from my 1 meg line)

found the answer thanks - [ADSL Guide forum link]

[Moderator note by acarr (Phil) : Converted link to more appropriate size]
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the links. My connection dropped to 371kb lowest but is now offering 952kb.
I must say that whilst downloading files appears very quick indeed (generally) i really expected better results when surfing. In many instances i dont feel it is any quicker than my old faithful dial-up connection. :?
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi rja66,

If its just HTTP traffic (web browsing) that is affected it won't be a line fault. The problem is trying to diagnose what it is.

Things to try/rule out:

A DNS issue - try using the web pages IP address instead of the URL;
Try accessing secure sites as well as general;
try FTPing via the browser;
Try a different browser, ie Opera or Mozilla if using IE;
Graphics card - try running a graphics intensive programme to rule this out;
Clear Cache/Temporary Internet files;
and high CPU usage, ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manager to identify this.