cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed

dennisb66
Grafter

download speed

I am new to Broadband and have a download speed of 1.1mbps.My file sharing download speed averages at about 10k/bs.I have been told that i should be downloading between 80-120k/bs.Am i really dowloading at a very low speed ? can anyone advise. Sad
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

download speed

This will depend on several factors, which we will need to help you.

What PlusNet product are you on?

What software are you using?

Do you have a router or firewall or both?

Have you set the correct port forwarding on your router/firewall?

There may be other factors at play, but these are the main ones.

Although there may be many threads on here at the moment that have upset people, or arguments brewing etc, we can all make time to help out people with problems! Cheesy
dennisb66
Grafter

Download speed

Thanx for replying Chesterfield.I am using Plusnet Plus up to 2mb,actually getting 1.1mbps. ADSLModem Voyager105 and windows XP Firewall. I also have AVG Free download security. Sorry i do not understand your question about port forwarding on router/firewall. Shockedops:
N/A

download speed

Dennis 10k is about top wack for your package using p2p.

Broadband+ and prem are now being throttled
(not sure any other ISP's actually do this)

You have the option to refuse the new T&C and leave plusnet.
N/A

download speed

I don't really use P2P very much, but sometimes got 30kbs on torrents back in July if I ran them overnight. Has this been throttled down further with the new T&C?
Community Veteran

download speed

If you are on the "Broadband Plus" product, then yes your P2P (filesharing) activities will be throttled. You may have "got away with it" in the past, but new technology means PN can enforce the rules more stringently now.

The premier product is throttled to some degree on P2P activity, but nothing like the Plus products. You should still be able to get up to 100kb/s on a very popular file using the premier product.

Unfortunatley there is little that can be done to increase your file sharing speed on the broadband plus product.

Your only option is to either upgrade to the premier package, or move ISP. There should be no costs to upgrade (other than the increase in subscription fee).

Sorry we can't be of more help.
dennisb66
Grafter

download speed

Thanx again Chesterfield,looks like i have some serious thinking to do. Sad