cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed - is p2p capped in the evening?

N/A

over the last couple of weeks my p2p downloads like bittorent are very slow at nights but rapid during the day.

i don't remember reading that plusnet capped this trafic in the evening.

can someone confirm if this is throttled? whats the offical plusnet line?

thanks
8 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

This could be down to several things. At the times you notice the slow p2p speeds do you notice slowdown on anything else, such as general web browsing? If you do, then this could be an exchange issue, that only affects you when there is lots of traffic passing through your exchange.

If everything else is fine, then it could be due to the overall network management that is in place, which means that whilst you can see speeds of up to your line speed, things such as p2p can run slower if there is a lot of demand for http and similar traffic.

The other option is that your account is being individually managed, though if you're getting good speeds during other times of the day, this is unlikley to be the case.
N/A

Jon stop spouting the same old claptrap....its affecting pretty much everyone that uses p2p, and the answer is PN network management...not contention!!!
JonathanW
Grafter

There are lots of people who use p2p on our network without seeing too many issues. I'm not syaing that the traffic management isn't to blame for some slowdown, but there are other things that have to be looked at to ensure that they aren't causing issues.
N/A

I also wouldn't say that Jon is spouting claptrap. He gave a few possible reasons for the slowdown. Had he ignored the fact that this could be due to PlusNet's overall traffic management or individual account management then yes, I would have agreed that it was claptrap. But equally, if he had only said it was due to this and not mentioned other possibilities such as exchange contention, that wouldn't have told the whole story.

I would add that it could be down to contention within PlusNet's network itself, but this is much less likely these days, as traffic management kicks in long before contention becomes an issue Wink
passer
Grafter

@ geddes

cutting through the usual scripts, the answers to your two questions are almost certainly

1) Yes

2) None of your business, really. They do what they regard as necessary, and the customer will never have the benefit of the real-time statistics which they use to justify their manual/semi-automatic/automatic actions, so tough on you.

The PN reps who visit these forums, nice folk though they may be, are little more than cannon-fodder for us to aim at. They get crucified if they make any sort of mistake when describing policy, so in true Pavlovian style, they learn not to do so. Instead, they provide answers like Jon's above, which are factually correct, but don't resolve your problem. PlusNet clearly have severe contention problems in the evenings, due to their increased customer base and their static bandwidth allocations.

What you need to come to terms with, dear geddes, is that PlusNet don't care about P2P, other than to work out new algorithms for shunting it to the side when it breaches some overall bandwidth usage limit, which only they know about. They don't regard it as a service they need to deliver, rather as an impediment to other services they need to deliver.

Jon said:
There are lots of people who use p2p on our network without seeing too many issues

How do you know that, then?
N/A

Easy.

Use Azureus (latest version) and turn on encryption!!! :lol:

I've been seeing speeds approaching 180Kb/sec......

Which is nice.
N/A

LMAO@ brandon2....

That is damn funny m8......but true

John and the comms team are great guys and they get alot of repect, but as you say, they are in the firing line when things are bad and go wrong and to be honest, their time since the start of ellacrapus destruction of the service has been nothing but bumpy, and i cant see it getting better in the near future as long as parts of the service are degraded even more.

P2Pcan get a reasonable speed during the afternoon some days but as soon as evening starts, it crumbles to dial up speeds. My 2mb premier connection has not seen full line speed using P2P for so long now i forget how nice it must be to experience a clean service without the protocal priorities, throtling, shaping, limits.

To be honest john....plusnet is starting to feel like a budget broadband service.

When you decribe the idea of ellacrapus and what it's aim is it does not sound bad, but the result on for instance P2P is so extreme, it's like using dial up again and thats not what a 2mb line should be giving....why do you think people upgrade to speeds like 2mb or 8mb?

If plusnet can no longer supply a decent service on all levels, then please just say so and get it over and done with.
N/A

Thanks for the feedback regarding my post.

I think i get the gist of what is going on with Plusnet. I feel these performance issues are actually worse than the download caps that have been imposed on most packages.

Unfortunately i agree with the opinion that things will not get any better with Plusnet. I think there are very few ISP's left that offer a True package - max speed downloads when you want them with no download limits.

Think i will change to cable - i always hear rave reviews from users with cable broadband.

cheers