cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed is abysmal

N/A

Lately my download speeds on p2p were good in the afternoon but poor in the evening, now they are very poor all the time.

It looks like bittorent trafic is getting throttled at around 30Kb/s. I used to be able to max out my connection at 200Kb/s. Doing a speed test validates that i can download at 2Mb/s but this was only using the plusnet test.

treid the following
- new ports
- tested NAT
- encryption, this apparently fools the packet shapers.
- tested line.
- tested using laptop - same result.
- newclient

My account has not been given any restrictions as i am well within my download limit. I'm going to have to go to another isp if this dosen't get better.

Even web browsing is bad. Anyone else feel like they are on ISDN
9 REPLIES
N/A

The whole experience has been pretty poor recently, and for me encryption does work, still getting some decent speeds from it despite being on apparently Level 3 Management!!! turn it off and things go back to normal...struggle to get over 5kB/s on any p2p or usenet, and it was like that even when I wasnt on Management, only ecrypting p2p seems to actually work. for me that is.
N/A

Are you using Azureus? what speed can you get using encryption?
N/A

I should say that encryption will only work if the source that your downloading from is also encrypting, otherwise itll just be snuffled up by the ellacoyas.
N/A

I have 5 torrents on the go, this afternoon i was seeing speeds of 100kB/s plus with it, Yes Azurues 2.4.0.0
N/A

geddes if your getting 30kb/s you should count yourself lucky :lol: I was on premier with my account at home and never got above 12kb/s. I have moved to a new provider and my average is now 130kb/s Cheesy
N/A

I hit the dizzying heights of 223kb/sec tonight on a torrent using encryption.

I'll be sueing +net because I fell off my chair and banged my head! :lol:
N/A

Also use utorrent as well but Azureus definately seems to work better.
Without encryption though I was only gett 5-10kB/s and this was my main gripe to CSC when u raised a ticket demanding to be taken off Peak time management as I saw no such thing as CLEAN TO allownace.
N/A

Could anyone tell me if their is a way to check whether my exchange is the bottleneck?

I would like to confirm is their are contention issue.

Thanks
N/A

geddes,

the best way to eliminate or confirm contention as being the issue is to do BT speed tests.

This then rules out the plusnet connection all together and only leaves you with a direct connection with BT. Basically nothing Plusnet have implemented can affect these speed tests as you dont touch their network.

The problem I found is that you can only do 1 speed test per 30 minutes and as such use a small script that automates this process for me. Its in my sig as a matter of fact Wink .
I simply change the router details and then set this script up to run. I leave it for a few hours and should have a set of results for every 30/40/50 or however you set it minutes.

This would help you plot a graph if you like to spot areas of high contention and lower contention and so forth.

Regards,