cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download dilemna

N/A

download dilemna

I wanted to get a copy of windows vista on monday, I only have a laptop which I dont really want to leave on overnight, I only have a 4 GB allowance and windows vista I believe is about 5GB. Does anyone know if there would have been a way to get this put on DVD and shipped, could I have bought extra download from PN or is this a case of I seriously have to rethink my broadband options as downloads become bigger?
11 REPLIES
N/A

download dilemna

Download it during off peak hours?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

download dilemna

Which package are you on? Even though you only have 4GB allowance, most of the packages allow more to be downloaded during off peak hours.

Depending on your package, off peak doesn't necessarily mean leaving the laptop on overnight. As far as I know, for the PAYG packages, the off peak period is midnight till 8am, so this would need to be left on overnight, but if you are on Plus, the off peak hours run from midnight till 4pm, so you could download during the day.
N/A

download dilemna

some of us have to work during off peak hours, and as I say, I'm a bit reluctant to leave a laptop on unattended. This means that the only time I get to be able to use the internet is during peak hours, except at weekends.Maybe there are cheap NAS storage devices that I can use that allow unattended downloads, it seems a bit over the top just to buy another machine just for the occasional download
N/A

download dilemna

Just curious, but why so worried about leaving a laptop on overnight/unattended?
N/A

download dilemna

mine gets quite hot, plus the exploding battery saga doesn't give me too much faith
N/A

download dilemna

Take the battery out but leave the mains plugged in if your that worried.

Laptops do run hot. Mine is sat next to me no battery (it's knackered) and been switched on for over a month no problem, table gets a bit warm but thats all.
N/A

download dilemna

Take the battery out but leave the mains plugged in if your that worried.

Quite a lot of recent laptops won't work without the battery in. I know mine won't, even if you are powering from AC.

Exploding batteries? well, is your battery on the recall list? no? then don't worry, yes? why haven't you replaced it already?

Leaving a laptop on shouldn't be too much of a problem, you can always set a timed shutdown.

(in a command prompt: shutdown -s -f -t <time in seconds>) if you know how long it will take to download, +- a little for connection changing and such.

Heat shouldn't be an issue, you could set it to shutdown if it gets too hot.
N/A

download dilemna

I don't know what job you do, but I have a small PC powered up 24/7 (400Mhz Celeron, 64mb RAM) connected to 320GB of NAS during the off-peak period and only switch my main PC on when I want to use my main pc. I've enabled Terminal Services on the small PC and connect to it from work to schedule & check my downloads, emails, etc.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

download dilemna

If you do not work weekends then you have up to 4pm on a Sat/Sun before it is counted towards peak.
N/A

download dilemna

yes, I guess I'll just have to be patient , stay in weekends and do my downloads sat and sun. I was just curious if there was a service out there that I didnt know about , I would have paid £3-4 for this to have arrived earlier.Same as I would have been willing to pay for extra download from PN for a few extra pounds. Thanks guys
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

download dilemna

Hi,

That is something we are looking into, kind of like a PAYG add on option. Last I heard was that it was still on the drawing board so may be a way off but it's certainly something we will look at add in the future.